A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Norton Antivirus: Activation Is Seriously Broken...2

Norton Antivirus: Activation Is Seriously Broken...2

Postby Mac33 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:34 pm

Norton Antivirus: Activation is Seriously Broken

Fixing Norton AntiVirus

There isn't a fix. The tech support woman -- who gets kudos for her professionalism and courtesy -- transferred me to someone who theoretically had the authorization to reset the activations on my app. This new person was also helpful, telling me she'd reset the activation counter. In other words, the activation counter would reset to zero, but every time the message popped up, I'd have to re-activate, which would increment the activation counter. On top of that, it would be "several hours" before I could re-activate.

I mentioned I was worried about the risk of virus exposure. Her solution was that I uninstall my paid version, and install a trial version, which would be good for a couple of weeks. The final kicker? Sometimes even resetting the activation counter doesn't work. All you can do is re-download the application and get a new application key (serial number).

That was Friday afternoon. Four hours later, it still wasn't working. On Saturday morning, I called the phone number given me by the second Symantec support person which would allow me to re-download. It didn't work -- all I got was the same application serial number, which of course, wouldn't activate. Another call to the sales desk, where a not-so-helpful operator told me he couldn't authorize a new serial number but that I would "get an e-mail giving me new download information".

After hanging up, I went to www.mcafee.com and downloaded a copy of McAfee antivirus. I don't intend to return to NAV at this point. While the support staff was very professional, they couldn't solve my problem even though they knew my computer was at risk. I'm sure company policies are at work here
PROfessional Member

Mac33

Postby MinusDriver » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:44 pm

I thought you may want to know this...

Solution:
This issue is caused by a problem with the Symantec Product Activation feature. Product Activation is an anti-piracy technology designed to verify that Symantec software products have been legitimately licensed. For a description of the Symantec product activation feature, read the document What is Product Activation?

This problem can be fixed by downloading and executing the SymKBFix.exe file.

To download and execute the SymKBFix.exe file

Close all running programs.
Download the fix: click here
Click Save this program to disk, and then click OK.
Change the location in the Save in field to Desktop, and then click Save.
Click Close when the download completes.
Double-click the icon on the Desktop to launch the application.
Click Install.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING: Do not change any of the default install locations at any point of this install process. The default install paths are set exactly as they need to be for this patch to function correctly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click Next on any further install screens.
Click Finish.
Click Yes to restart the computer. You must restart the computer before continuing to the next step or the fix will not complete successfully.
Reactivate your Symantec product.

Your Symantec products should now remain active.
PRO Level 13

Postby UNIX2008 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:53 am

You said it all Guardian
PRO Level 5

Return to Security & Virus