A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

PC Probe II Vcore Warnings

PC Probe II Vcore Warnings

Postby augie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:36 pm

I have an ASUS A8N-E and a 3 year old Thermaltake 420W and the Ultra UPS says that I draw 200W including the LCD. I am now getting increasing warning events, from once a week in June to several a day now(already had six so far today). Usually, the Vcore is at 1.34V, goes up to 1.36V occasionally and the alarm triggers at 1.30V for a few seconds and then is back to the normal 1.34V.

Main question is: Is my PSU going to die soon? Are the PC Probe settings set too tight or possibly something else? Thanks all.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:30 pm

I learned not to use ASUS Probe any version on any ASUS motherboard because it's unreliable in my opinion.

I'd suggest you ditch it and also make sure all your thermal throttling and auto volt control in the BIOS is turned off. You may see slightly higher temps as a result but you won't get the fluctuations you're experiencing now.

It's possible it's your PSU but I'd see how it goes with the other adjustments I've mentioned already. Also, if it's been some time (like a few years) since you seated your heatsink, it may be a good idea to clean all the goo off both the CPU and heatsink and reapply Arctic Silver 5 or Antec Formula 5 as it can become degraded.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:54 pm

Grav!ty wrote:I learned not to use ASUS Probe any version on any ASUS motherboard because it's unreliable in my opinion.

I'd suggest you ditch it and also make sure all your thermal throttling and auto volt control in the BIOS is turned off. You may see slightly higher temps as a result but you won't get the fluctuations you're experiencing now.

It's possible it's your PSU but I'd see how it goes with the other adjustments I've mentioned already. Also, if it's been some time (like a few years) since you seated your heatsink, it may be a good idea to clean all the goo off both the CPU and heatsink and reapply Arctic Silver 5 or Antec Formula 5 as it can become degraded.

OK, I don't have throttling on, Cool & Quiet is off by default since day one and my X2 is humming along @ 43C with no load, which I upgraded to last year. (figure taken from PC Probe :P). I guess I'll find another monitor to compare to PC Probe and see how that goes. Any recommendations?
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:01 pm

SpeedFan is quite a good one and so is Motherboard Monitor (sorry can't find a direct author site download link for it). I don't really like either but they seem to work accurately enough.

One thing I really miss about Intel produced motherboards is Intel's system monitoring tool. Yeah, I know that's your AMD system but I'm just saying.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:13 am

I think that my mobo has the voltage readouts displayed in bios and it's an asus. I don't know if your's does or not, but you could just sit and watch the bios screen for a short time to see if it fluctuates there.
PRO SUPREME

Postby augie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:32 am

Thanks Graham, I dumped PC Probe and I'm running SpeedFan ATM, I really like the charting feature as I can see a graphical representation of the voltage. The voltages are basically the same as PC Probe. I think I'll stop stressing over the voltages and just monitor them.

Several things I did notice that were flagged as hot was that my GPU is at 52C for a 7600GT though I believe that's fairly normal for a fanless vid card. The HDD's though are both at 51C, is this too high? I did confirm this with a touch test and it would make a real hot bath. Everything else looks good. Thanks guys.

@Mark, I have no volts shown in BIOS.

Community Director

Return to Hardware and Customizing