A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

password programs for folders?

password programs for folders?

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:56 am

i was wondering if anyone has had experience with programs that password folders and stuff ... just in case someone does hack your comp ... or break in while your not around it ....

anyone know of some good programs out there to keep people out?
something free ... dont wanna pay for it :)

i have looked but not too sure where to look for anything like this ... the stuff i have found i cant find reviews on or you have to pay for it ...

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:11 am

The basic problem with folder encryption is - when your computer breaks down. You then have to go through the hassle of decrypting then re-encrypting everything. And, if the breakdown happens after a certain time span, remembering your encryption key can be a toughie, particularly if the software enforces a strong key policy and your usual passwords don't work ...
PRO VETERAN

Postby _Taz_ » Tue May 13, 2008 7:26 pm

I know this is an old post, but I haven't been able to be around much in a while.

I have used AxCrypt before for people that felt they needed an extra level of security. can encrypt files and/or folders. nice and free

http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/Downloads.html

the only time I ran into an issue was a user had encrypted their tax documents folder at home on the laptop. got to work and could not decrypt the folder. she had the right password, it just wouldn't decrypt it. talked to the company, they said SOL no back door. I got to asking questions and turns out at home she was using a full size USB keyboard. I went and got one plugged it in and it worked. I played with it some. If I encrypted it with the laptop keyborad the USB could decrypt it, but not the other way around.
PRO Level 13

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Mon May 19, 2008 1:28 am

wow thats very interesting ... wonder why the keyboard was messing with it?

thanks taz i will definitely check it out

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Return to Security & Virus