A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Only boots into XP even after installing VistaBootPro

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Only boots into XP even after installing VistaBootPro

Postby cindyfiller » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:13 pm

I created a dual boot system - it was originally Vista and I added XP. I installed the VistaBootPro, but the pc still only boots to XP. Within VistaBootPro it displays both operating systems properly, but when I restart or turn on the machine I never get a menu to choose which OS I want to start. How do I fix this.
PRO New Member

Re: Only boots into XP after installing VisatBootPro

Postby leo27 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:45 pm

hey i'm not an expert at vistabootpro but i do know that for the support team to be able to help you you need to post your boot information listed in vistabootpro. This will allow the experts to spot any potential problems.

this is an example of what the information in vistabootpro looks like so you know what to post

There is currently 2 OS(s) installed on your system.
The current boot timeout is: 30

Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Boot Drive: C:
Windows Drive: C:
System Bootloader: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Windows XP
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Boot Drive: D:
System Bootloader: \ntldr
PRO Level 4

Postby louisc22 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:59 pm

When you restart your computer keep pressing f5 untill it brings you to a screen with a list of boot options select the bottom one.
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 am

cindyfiller wrote:I created a dual boot system - it was originally Vista and I added XP. I installed the VistaBootPro, but the pc still only boots to XP. Within VistaBootPro it displays both operating systems properly, but when I restart or turn on the machine I never get a menu to choose which OS I want to start. How do I fix this.

You need to follow this guide (some of the steps you have already done obviously so skip those) skip to where is says create a dual boot menu and start there http://www.pronetworks.org/index.php/gu ... ows_vista/
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: Only boots into XP even after installing VisatBootPro

Postby cindyfiller » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm only able to work on this during the weekend, so it takes a bit of time to reply. I did go back and follow the instructions exactly. I was missing the steps within proboot. Once I did that, I was able to go into Vista without a problem. However, I then started having issues going back into xp. I did a repair as the start up message indicated and was once again able to boot into XP only. I went in and out of XP several times without any issues. Of course I was at the state where I couldn't get into Vista again, so I repeated the steps for proboot. When I go to the Manage OS entried, both my Vista install and the XP install show properly and with the proper drive. There are no errors. When I try and go into XP I get the following error code: 0xc000000f - ntldr is missing or corrupt. Any ideas on how to fix this?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:01 pm

That error message could just mean that your boot.ini file is incorrectly configured. If you post the contents of the boot.ini (just open it by double clicking), and a screenshot of your disk management, we can help fix that.

Oh, before that try copying ntldr, NTDETECT.COM and boot.ini and paste them to the root of your XP drive and then see if you can boot into XP.

To see those files, you'll need to set folder options>view to see hidden files and folders and not to protect operating systems files.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby cindyfiller » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:28 pm

I finally got this working! I had read some place that I should copy the 3 files listed in troubleshooting from the xp install to the vista install. It was actually the opposite - I had to copy the 3 files from Vista root directory to XP root directory and this solved the problem. This should be added to the instructions for installing this product.
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software