A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Off network VPN testing

Off network VPN testing

Postby gries818 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:44 am

I'm trying to setup OpenVPN on my Ubuntu Server with little success, and need to setup some sort of way to test it at home. Right now, the only way I can test it is going to the local coffee shop which is problematic because then I can't make changes on the fly.

Any ideas on how to get around this? Ideally, I'd like to make some sort of internal network that has access to all the ports I'll need, but not access to anything else on my LAN.

Thanks.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Re: Off network VPN testing

Postby gries818 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Any ideas guys?

Also, the mods over at the Ubuntu forums are being less than helpful: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134459

'Course I had something to do with it too... I didn't read the post where the other guy said he had an Untangle Network Gateway setup so I thought we had the same issue and my postings distracted others from his issue. The excellent mod staff here would have no problem sorting that issue out, but nobody seems to have time to give help over there.

Any help regarding the VPN problem I'm experiencing is also welcome.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:08 am

No idea what may be wrong or how to fix it, but you could setup SSH/VNC with port forwarding and a dynamic DNS url so that you can access the server from the coffee shop and configure the VPN setup from there rather than having to go back and forth. Are there any neighbors that have wifi you could hop on to test with as well? May make the trip for testing shorter.
PRO SUPREME

Postby gries818 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Well I finally fixed the problem, so I guess needing a testing area is no longer needed. It sure would have made the process easier. Anyway, thanks.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Return to Other Operating Systems