A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

\ntldr can not be found

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

\ntldr can not be found

Postby llr » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Hello 26-11-2009 i purchased dual boot pro (personal license).
The programm is full of bugs and it doesn't work at all.

I installed win7 (dutch (home premium)) and later down the line i installed windows XP. I then used dualbootpro in winxp to re-install the windows 7 bootloader (which works - but then XP is left out)
When i try to put XP back in and reboot my pc there is an option for XP, but it sais \ntldr can not be found (changing the OS drives don't help either).

It does work when i re-install the legacy boot menu, but then win7 is a goner.

I've done the procedure with vistaBoot (vista and XP) several times.
I was under the assumption that it would work with dual boot too when i bought it.

Are you aware of this problem and do i get a free updated version when it comes out?

Gr. Paul
PRO New Member

Re: \ntldr can not be found

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:08 am

Check your boot.ini as the ntldr error usually indicates an incorrect boot.ini - check out this guide if you need help with that: dual-boot-trouble-shooting-guide-xp-windows-7-running-t111216.html

I've used DualBootPRO to do exactly what you have with no issues at all, as have many others, so I'm not so sure about any such bug in DualBootPRO.

Where are your boot system files for XP located (boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM)?

Do you have a small hidden System partition where your Windows 7 boot system files (bootmgr and the folder Boot) are?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby llr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Check your boot.ini as the ntldr error usually indicates an incorrect boot.ini - check out this guide if you need help with that: dual-boot-trouble-shooting-guide-xp-windows-7-running-t111216.html

I've used DualBootPRO to do exactly what you have with no issues at all, as have many others, so I'm not so sure about any such bug in DualBootPRO.

Where are your boot system files for XP located (boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM)?

Do you have a small hidden System partition where your Windows 7 boot system files (bootmgr and the folder Boot) are?

Thanks for the guide, i'll check it out tonight. (didn't need a guide and boot.ini edit when it was vista boot pro / vista - xp combo though)
But thanks anyway.

& Yes i have that 100 MB win system partition. (Does it need special care?)
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Yeah, allocate a drive letter to that small partition by right clicking the drive icon and then select Change drive letter and path and accept the first drive letter you are offered. Be sure NOT to agree to format the partition when that option is presented.

Then simply copy and paste boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM to that partition so that they are with the Windows 7 boot system files, change the boot.ini if necessary so that it points to the correct XP partition and then reinstall the Windows 7 bootloader again. That should get you booting both OSs...all things being equal.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems