A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Norton AV question

Postby zak2002 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:33 pm

Just an added thought, hope it's not too basic. Some of these viruses get into your startup and registry so that when certain things happen in your system , the virus is triggered and begins to multiply. Because of certain bells and whistles to Windows etc. like system restore. the virus will stay on your machine and be retriggered at certain times. As a result the virus software companies have come up with special tools for those types of viruses. If you program NAV to try to fix and if not delete, Then it will tell you which ones it cannot delete properl;y and you cn go to the special tool either they or MS hgas developed for the cure. Also if you run a scan and it puts it in quarantine. I believe if you try to delete it or escape the program it will tell you your machine is still infected.

Frankly, what I do when I know I have a virus is run trend micro's online free virus scan. If programmed top auto remove. It does rem,ove about 90% of the viruses out there without a special tool. Kind of strange, because if you ran theirvirus software (Pcillin) under the same circumstances, you'd have to run the tool.

I've used this tool in circumstances where Norton could't removethe virus or in situations where the virus damages Norton so that it doesn't work properly on the rec of someone at Microsoft, Best advice I've ever gotten from them!
PRO New Member

Postby Mac33 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:41 pm

Welcome zak2002 nice to see you here.
That is a good point you make, although you should be able to rid your computer completely of viruses with Norton. At least that is what i have found, and in the recent past i have had quite a number of attacks on my system and thank goodness i have a decent firewall running. It certainly pays to be vigilant and if you look at other articles in this section of the forum you will find some interesting topics on this subject.
all the best
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Security & Virus