A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Newbie to networking

Newbie to networking

Postby mooseantlers » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Up until now, i've had no use for any type of networking at the house since we only have the 1 computer. However, I think i'm going to get the wife a netbook for her birthday and to hook up to the 'net wirelessly and admittedly, i'm confused,

We have Hughesnet satellite internet (and the HN7000S modem). I still want to access the 'net on the original computer too. Do these wireless routers have the capability to pass the signal (via ethernet) to this computer AND wireless at the same time or do I have to get a wireless adaptor for this one?

Thanks!
PRO Level 4

Re: Newbie to networking

Postby Nativedude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Most if not all wireless routers have 4 Ethernet LAN ports and one WAN port where you plug in your modem

So no you will not have to get any additional adapters for your desktop
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 pm

I suggest getting the router below. Buffalo make a GREAT chipset for a router. I have been buying ASUS routers with the Buffalo chipset and enjoy them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

You woudl hook your HN7000S to the router via ethernet cable, NOT USB. You can then plyg your desktop into the router and run it with little to no setup. Program your wireless via WPA for security and then use the netbook to search for the router and type in the WPA passkey you assigned. You will then be able to surf the net at the same time with both computers.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mooseantlers » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:57 pm

Thank you all for the quick replies. Later on, I went to Newegg & checked out the photo's of a couple of the routers and saw that they have 4 lan jacks.

And thank you NT50 for the recommendation of that Buffalo Airstation unit. Based on what you've said, i'm just about ready to 'click and buy' however I do have 1 last question.

The room where the desktop (and satellite modem) is located is directly underneath our living room where i'm sure any 'net connections with the netbook would take place. I'd be placing the router on the top shelf of the credenza on this desk - which would make it about 3 feet below the ceiling. This is a wood structure so add add that, plus another 4-5 feet if your on the couch. My question is, will there still be a good signal or are there possibilities of running into issues?

Again, thanks for all the help!!!
PRO Level 4

Postby NT50 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:18 pm

Should be i have one one upstairs and i can see it directly on the other side of my 2500 sq ft house on bottom floor.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mooseantlers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 pm

NT50

Sorry that this is long overdue.

Thanks for the recommendation on that Buffalo wireless router. I did buy it and it works great! Thanks!

One of these days, I'll get my act together and figure out how to share files (if possible) between that netbook (with Win7 Home Premium) and this (XP Pro)

Again . . thanks!
PRO Level 4

Return to Hardware and Customizing