A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New User - Confused!

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: New User - Confused!

Postby hamptonsb » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Where are the boot system files for Windows 7 (bootmgr and the folder Boot) and where are the boot system files for XP (boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM)? Are they on the root of the same partition - the partition tagged (System) as per Disk Management?

Yes, all three are in the System partition, which i have called C. What should the boot.ini read?

Did you add a drive letter to the (System) partition to unhide it before installing XP?

Yes, I can see it from within XP.

I'm about to log off for the night so unless someone else gets to help you, see you in the morning my time. You may want to read through some of the other guides with appropriate titles in the guides forum in the meantime.

Thanks for your help so far!
PRO New Member

Re: New User - Confused!

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:49 pm

Please post a screenshot of disk management so that we can see your drive/partition configuration and then post the text contents of your boot.ini file. Those will enable us to get your boot.ini right.

Here's a guide to posting a screenshot if you need it: how-to-post-an-image-at-pronetworks-t112572.html

To get the contents of the boot.ini just right click it and Open>Edit>Select All>Copy and then paste it here.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems