A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New Server

New Server

Postby mnemonicj » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:23 am

After getting Windows Server 2008 and realizing that it may not run as well as I want it to on my old server, I finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my server with some new parts that I just ordered today:

Intel Xeon X3430 Lynnfield 2.4GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Server Processor
Intel S3420GPLC LGA 1156 Intel 3420 ATX Intel Xeon 3400 series Server Motherboard
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory
2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Power Supply

My total came to just over $700 since I am reusing some parts from my old server, including the server case, 3 Seagate 320GB hard drives, Promise PCI IDE RAID Controller Card, etc. My server case is from my old server, a Gateway 6400, and it is such a great case that I want to keep it. Everything I read says that it uses a standard ATX motherboard and I already have a different power supply in case, so I am hopeful that I will still be able to use it. The case is nice and wide, the hard drives slide in sideways, there are two 120mm fans (one in front of the hard drive cage, one in back), and it would be nice to not need to upgrade.

Since my present server was purchased in 1999 and I am still effectively using it today, I hope to get 10 years out of this server too...
PRO Level 15

Re: New Server

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:12 am

That looks like a very good system and at a surprisingly low cost for the components you got :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:04 am

Yeah, I am pretty happy with the price and the items I got. I am pretty excited to be running a quad core Xeon.

But, I screwed up. I opened my Gateway server case that I like so much and realized that the power button, reset button, HDD activity LED, Network LED, fan warning LED cables in the case are all bundled in a ribbon cable. I realized that I don't want to spend the time trying to figure the pins out, cut up the cable, and put it together to work on a new motherboard, so I decided to go ahead and purchase a new server case.

Anyone have any recommendations on a server case? My minimum requirements are:
Pedestal case (not a rack mount)
Two 120mm fans to move air through the case
Minimum space for 6 hard drives (I have 5 now and don't expect to reduce the number)
ATX compatible
No cases with mesh fronts
No cases with Plexiglas windows
Hard drives mounts that are sideways or slide in the front would be nice
Under $200

Thanks for your help!
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 am

I like the Chenbro server cases. I purchased my last two at Newegg.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 am

NT50 wrote:I like the Chenbro server cases. I purchased my last two at Newegg.

I was looking at those. The Chenbro Mid-level server case that Newegg sells looks good. They also sell a couple hot swap bays that fit this server case. Since I don't need the 5.25" bays for anything, I think I will get the bay that converts the three 5.25" bays to a hot swap bay for 5 SATA drives. Since only my OS drives are SATA right now, I will be able to use the standard hard drive bay for my 3 IDE hard drives until I get a chance to upgrade them to SATA.

I'm glad you mentioned Chenbro and I am really glad to hear that you've had success with them.
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:58 am

I actually have the first case you mentioned in the first line in server at a company as we speak. IT is big, heavy and loud but works very well.
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Loud is a concern, but I have heard people say that if you replace the rear 120mm fan, you can quiet it down. Do you know if there is any truth to that? Is the rear fan the loudest?
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Yes you can replace the fan with a ball bearing fan and quit it down some.
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Well, I ordered everything and received everything but the case and the hot swap bay last week. I was looking around on Intel's website and found out that the Xeon processor I bought doesn't support Hyperthreading, but for $20 more I could get the Intel Xeon X3440 Lynnfield 2.53GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Server Processor that supports Hyperthreading. I chatted with Newegg support online and since the CPU was still sealed, they let me return it and get the upgraded one.

The only thing was, I bought the CPU in a combo with the motherboard and even though I wanted the upgraded processor with the same motherboard in a different combo, I already opened the motherboard so I was worried that I wouldn't be able to send it back. Newegg customer support let me send back both the CPU and the motherboard for a full refund so I get to receive the combo discount on the upgraded CPU and motherboard. I thought that was really cool because it saved me about $65 if I would have just exchanged the processor because I would have lost both combo discounts by returning one item from a combo and purchasing another item by itself.

I know this sounds like an advertisement for Newegg, but I swear they are not paying me to say this. I have always loved shopping on Newegg because they have the most product pictures of any website and the shipping prices are very reasonable. Newegg is also very good at getting the product out the door in a reasonable time. There is nothing more frustrating then ordering something and waiting days for the product to even be shipped and with Newegg that has never happened to me. With all of that, I was amazed when the customer service was great too. This was the first time I used their customer service and I was very happy.

All I can say is, if you are building your own computer, try out Newegg if you haven't already.
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:58 pm

I use Newegg 99% of the time.
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing