A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New PCI Express Video Card

Postby Weaver » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:42 pm

robrowe wrote:They are just saving on R&D and putting a bridge on already available cards to try and get to market first. Propaganda ploy if you ask me.

You are exactly right, they are trying to have a full line of cards on the market first. However, saving on R&D? How is designing a bridging solution saving on R&D? This is all about money, and Nvidia has a lot of it. The money earned by being first to market will cover expenses in their eyes.

Nvidia's strategy is simple. Be the first to market. Utilize the existing proven intfrastructure of AGP and bridge it with PCIe. With this logic, every single one of Nvidia's AGP line of cards is now accessible over PCIe. I highly doubt the bridging solution is going to kill performance, although it remains to be seen.

You would have to be a loon to think they are going to sit on their asses and just use bridging for the next few years. Of course they have design teams dedicated to developing a native PCIe interface.

Assuming the bridging can be accomplished without adverse effects on performance, I think Nvidia is taking the right approach.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing