A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New Intel Processor

New Intel Processor

Postby util8 » Tue May 04, 2004 10:50 pm

I have been talking around campus, and have heard that there is talk about a new intel chip aht is 64 bits and will be able to work at speed of :shocked: 10-20 GHZ :shocked: . Has anyone else heard this, and if so do you know anymore about it.
PRO New Member

Postby OsirisX » Tue May 04, 2004 11:35 pm

Moved from introduction.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby OsirisX » Tue May 04, 2004 11:36 pm

Personally I don't think the jump from 4ghz to 10 ghz does not seem likly and it should be big news since it is more than 2 times faster than the current proccesors.
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby util8 » Wed May 05, 2004 12:05 am

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was to be acomplished by the end of the decade. The newest chip is only supose to be around 3.8, but it is said to allow up to 10-20.
PRO New Member

Postby OsirisX » Wed May 05, 2004 12:12 am

I think I've heard about some problems with the cooling of the chip since the temp will be extremely high. Propably might use another technology.
OsirisX

PROfessional Member

Postby ~Robrowe~ » Wed May 05, 2004 12:17 am

With the latest craze and need for speed I would not doubt a processor speed upwards of 6GHZ in the next couple of years but I feel unless a new medium is found sooner or later the silicone is going to max out on frequency and I highly doubt it makes it to 10GHZ. But you never know until you see it! :yesnod:
PROfessional Member

Postby util8 » Wed May 05, 2004 12:45 am

I would hate to immagine the power source for that fast of a processor too
PRO New Member

Postby Allan » Wed May 05, 2004 6:43 pm

Crikey, you'd have to have industrial fans to cool it down! We'd be back to computers being housed in rooms w/ a 10gig processor *LOL*

I can see two 3.8's which is d*mn close to 10 ... I belive a 6gig processor will be here just after Longhorn is fully released.

Allan
Exodus 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before Me."

"those people who claim to be perfect, offend the few of us whom really are!"

PRO Level 10
Location: U(niverse):\Earth\North America \Canada\Ontario\Toronto.city

Postby netNomad » Thu May 06, 2004 5:00 am

If you check the intel website there was some information there about the next generation cpu's they are designing. Maybe you might want to check that out.

Joe
PROneTworks and LongHorn MOOOOOOving into the future
Pease read the Rules Here before posting. Thank you :wave:
PROfessional Member

Postby nioxin » Thu May 06, 2004 1:29 pm

If I remember correctly... we had a news poster from Joni who had an article posted about Intel's big flop. They said they were having problems reaching anything over 8.3GHz and that the molecular structure of silicon would break down at such a high frequency and temps. Then again a week later from Joni, there was another article saying that Intel has found their new medium... but, they ar not saying what it is because they want to keep ahead of the competition (from AMD).

My grandfather was one of the first people to work with the 4Hz computers (those comps that took up a whole building)... and he was also explaining to me that there was no way to cool down a silicon processor with just standard heatsink adaption. All those super overclocking freaks who gain 5GHz or more are using liquid nitrogen or some sort of vapor lock apparatus... which isn;t nessarily the best solution for home users. :lol: . But, this new medium/substance is something we will be looking into for those as you mentioned... 10-20GHz processors.

Inside news from Intel labs have designed processors that run 14-18GHz, but the expense and abnormal cooling is not yet available for consumer markets. Sun, also, has made a 20.2 GHz processor, but that also uses vapor-locked compressors to cool itself. At this point, if we ourselves had a 10GHz processor, we wouldn't notice any difference from an overclocked 5GHz computer using our standard 3D games and apps. Only large mathematical operations.

- Nioxin

(Oh yes, Space Flight Systems Inc. also makes 14GHz processors for use in satelights. And this was from year 1999!) - My dad worked there as a senior chief programmer.
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing