A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New hard drive troubles

New hard drive troubles

Postby nightfire » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:14 am

well hello all again!

I am back with more of my mysterious troubles, and of course this is the best place to come.

So, today, i got a 200 GB seagate sata internal hd from a friend, he said that it was messed up and wouldn't work.

So, thinking ill try it for myself, i put it in my system and take out my secondary 40GB sata. So i boot up, my bios recognizes it, all great. Then i see the win xp splash, it loads normal, then the screen goes black as if to load the logon menu. It just sits at black, no cursor, nothing.

I have no idea why it won't even boot, is there a bootable program i can run that can test for bad blocks? like on a mac?

thanks so much for help or just for reading
(Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Mobo)(AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+)(3.5 GB high speed ram?)(EVGA Geforce 8800GTS)(500 GB and 1 TB Sata Drives)super high speed, 3COM 56k Modem!!
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:26 am

Just a thought. SATA is hot plugable, so I think unplug it (just one end of the cable - the one that plugs into the HDD is probably easiest), and then once you've booted into Windows, plug it in and see if Windows finds it.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby nightfire » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:20 am

wow, i had no idea that sata were hot pluggable....

Well, i ran it as the only hd and it failed with dban, so i destroyed it, too bad

But btw, does anyone have a program that is free, bootable from a cd, and just scans the sectors on a hard drive?Something simple is best, i hate complicated features

Well thanks for the info ^*^
(Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Mobo)(AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+)(3.5 GB high speed ram?)(EVGA Geforce 8800GTS)(500 GB and 1 TB Sata Drives)super high speed, 3COM 56k Modem!!
PRO Level 7

Postby ar1stotle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:11 am

Well, you can use the recovery console on an XP disk. Otherwise, there's a program I used called Spinrite that will scan your drive and try to recover lost information.
PRO BRONZE

Return to Hardware and Customizing