A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New email scam -- looks good but

New email scam -- looks good but

Postby j8k3sp00n » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi,

Here is the text of a new email scam sent with the CareerBuilder logo prominent at the top. This is one of two that I got yesterday. Sounds good, doesn't it? SpamCop says they come from a Rumanian email address. I might suggest that they hire someone with better English composition skills than the cretin who wrote this.

At best, they are to be used in forwarding shady donations or money laundering. At worst, they probably seek financial information that could be devastating.

:-x

--Here's the text of one-----

ICF part-time position Donation Collector / Cashing Courier ($40/hr)

Dear job seeker,

Independent Charities Foundation is looking for part-time (2-3 hours/day) recruits.

1. What we need from you?
We need the responsible and punctual person who will be taking care of regional donations. "Taking care" means to make these donations reach the destination point as fast as possible. No delays. This is so because the donations are coming to a place where they are really needed this time. If donation is late, the charity action may not be performed at the proper time. That's why we require the punctuality from our applicants.

2. How does it work?
You will be receiving tasks daily (in mornings) by e-mail. The task should be completed during the day. You shall dedicate 2-3 hours/day to complete it. If the task could not be completed this day you have to warn me 1 day before. The task will contain information on current donation passing through your hands. You will receive all details about where this donation is coming from, how to handle it, where it's going, and how to make the transfer of it.

3. Your salary and employment.
Your salary will equal $40 US Dollars per hour. You may receive it monthly or weekly via the bank transfer. We can also send cheques. If you will incur losses during the task completion (like transportation or phone calls) we will compensate it. We are taking 2 weeks as a test period for you. Salary will be the same during this period, however we will sign the contract after the test period passed. The contract will be sent to your mailing address.

If you feel interested in this proposal, please reply to this email asking any questions or giving comments.

Best Regards,
Walter Madison
Removed by Mac
Independent Charities Foundation (ICF)
This email was sent from Account ID GV76HD90GV67FB71HN and by this logged in User FH83HFK9801VASJ

--
PRO Level 8

Postby x0000000009 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:55 pm

what do you suppose the repercussion would be to e-mail bomb the sender with viruses. say i set up a temporary sendmail server and use a program to send random string generated emails to them like a spammer do?
PRO Level 5

Postby j8k3sp00n » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:39 pm

x0000000009 wrote:what do you suppose the repercussion would be to e-mail bomb the sender with viruses. say i set up a temporary sendmail server and use a program to send random string generated emails to them like a spammer do?

Looks like someone preempted you from using that email address..... It's a throwaway from Yahoo, anyway. You'd only create problems for people who are not responsible for this as well.

But, bombarding people like this is always an intriguing idea.

However, there is a subtler, less direct approach by sending this kind of stuff to <<yourusername@reports.bluesecurity.com>>. You have to join Blue Security(free) and they take care of irritating such senders.

I forwarded a copy to Blue Security and did a spam report to SpamCop; that's how I know the sender was/is in Rumania.
PRO Level 8

Return to Security & Virus