A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New Build - Can't Boot Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

New Build - Can't Boot Vista

Postby seanharman01 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:12 pm

Alright, guys. I'm working with a Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P motherboard, Seagate hard drive (SATA), AMD Phenom II X4 CPU, and HP DVD burner (SATA). I've already got Vista installed on the hard drive (via another computer, so I know the hard drive works). However, if I try to boot the computer with both the DVD drive and hard drive plugged in, I get this message:

BOOTMGR is missing
Press CTRL + ALT + DEL

It also won't let me boot from the DVD drive when I have them both plugged in.

If I boot with just the DVD drive plugged in, it runs the disc.

If I boot with just the hard drive plugged in, I get the same error message. I've tried using a different SATA cable and used every SATA slot available with the same results. I've quadruple-checked that the DVD drive is set to boot first, then the hard drive. BIOS recognizes the hard drive.

I returned the motherboard for a replacement. No help. I've ordered a new power supply because the manual for the mobo suggested 500w or higher. No help. I haven't tried with a different hard drive yet simply because I don't have a spare one laying around and if the Seagate works when I stick it in my other computer, it should work with this new one.

One adviser told me to install Vista with the motherboard that I'd be using but I can't do that because of the whole BOOTMGR error. I can't do anything with the hard drive while it's still in the new computer.

Please help!
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems