A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Network card for the PS2, Worth it?

Network card for the PS2, Worth it?

Postby mnemonicj » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:41 pm

I have an old school, "thick" Sony PS2 and I am purchasing my third Buffalo Wireless Ethernet converter to connect my DVR to the rest of my network and I hate wasting the extra 3 Ethernet ports on the converter. There are two other devices that can use the Internet near my DVR, a Wii and a PS2. The Wii has built in wireless that can do WPA, so I don't need it for that. My PS2 only has wired, but since I have the "thick" PS2, I need optional Ethernet adapter.

If I don't do any online gaming on my PS2 right now, would it be worth it to purchase the Ethernet adapter? Are there updates for the PS2 that I haven't received since I purchased it... a long time ago?

TIA!
PRO Level 15

Postby Nativedude » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:48 am

AFAIK the adapter can only be used for online games, I don't think Sony offers updates for the PS2 like they do for the PS3
PRO Level 15

Postby ar1stotle » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:14 pm

IMHO, if you want to do some cool stuff on your PS2 it's worth it. Basically, the network adapter is also an IDE adapter so you can connect a hard drive... if you buy the HDLoader software or use a memory card exploit, you can load all the games you play most often onto the drive so that you don't have to worry about your laser getting any weaker, and it'll greatly increase loading times as well. You can also use it as a media center with a memory card exploit, but considering it's with all your other stuff that functionality might be redundant for you.
PRO BRONZE

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:27 am

ar1stotle, actually I ran across something funny after I posted this. I noticed that all of the PS2 network adapters have the "Hdd" symbol on the back and I had to research it to find it, but you are right, the network card connects a hard drive to the PS2.

I searched through the hard drive compatible list I have found on a few different sites and found that an 80GB Hitachi drive would work perfectly in my PS2. I am also looking into getting the HD loader software and putting it on my PS2 because I love the PS2, but the most annoying thing about it is how long it takes to load games, especially Gran Turismo 4.

Also, my wife would love for me to get my games out of the family room and into storage so when my daughter does learn to crawl, it will be one less thing spread out all over the family room.

ar1stotle, have you had any experience with the HDLoader software or putting a hard drive in your PS2?
PRO Level 15

Return to General Tech Chat