A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Need Wireless Network Adapter for Win 7

Need Wireless Network Adapter for Win 7

Postby bbarry » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:03 pm

I finally got Win 7 Ultimate custom installed and am running it in dual boot mode with Vista Ultimate. I encountered a few hardware problems, the biggest being that Win 7 will not recognize my Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter MN-730. As suggested in the Upgrade Advisor Report, I downloaded the latest device driver and installed it in Win 7. But since the Adapter is not even listed in Device Manager, I don't know how to invoke this driver.

So I guess I need a new wireless adapter (PCI or USB). Can anyone recommend one that will work with Win 7 (as well as Vista)?

Thanks in advance...........
PRO Level 3

Re: Need Wireless Network Adapter for Win 7

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:52 am

Download the drivers for your existing adapter from MS or elsewhere on the net and extract them to an accessible folder. Then go to add hardware and select Add new hardware after the wizard stops, select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, and then select a standard wireless adapter and point it to your drivers folder when prompted. That should get your current adapter installed.

Is it enabled in your BIOS by the way?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby bbarry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:10 am

Gravity, the Add New H/W Wizard won't find any new hardware.

I guess I don't know how to enable it in BIOS. I know how to enter/modify my BIOS, but I don't see anything pertaining to a wireless adapter. What should I be looking for?

Thanks...........
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:37 am

Look for Onboard devices configuration or similar. I'm going to boot to Win 7 shortly and check out how to work with it's add hardware wizard more closely, to get it to give you a choice, but check your BIOS in the meantime :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:54 am

In the Windows 7 hardware wizard, to add a wireless adapter, one needs to select add a printer (really :-? ) at the top on the task bar thingy, and then select the option to add a wireless network adapter. Steve Ballmer at his balmiest I guess :lol:

PROfessional Member

Postby bbarry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:43 am

Grav!ty wrote:In the Windows 7 hardware wizard, to add a wireless adapter, one needs to select add a printer (really :-? ) at the top on the task bar thingy, and then select the option to add a wireless network adapter. Steve Ballmer at his balmiest I guess :lol:

The one printer I have connected is an HP Deskjet 895Cse, and it has already been added/installed. I still couldn't add my wireless adapter because the system still couldn't see it and it was not listed on the legacy hardware list.

I did find a LAN something or other listed in my BIOS, and it was already enabled.

Other hardware problems I encountered were (still unresolved):
- HP DeskJet 895 Cse Printer (could only install as generic/text only printer)
- Creative Audigy Audio Processor (so I get no sound)
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra WDDM (so I only get VGA quality video)
- D-Link DGE-530T V.B1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
The Upgrade Advisor recommended that I check Windows Update after installing Win 7 to ensure that I have the latest drivers..........but I can't do this since I can't go online because of wireless adapter not working.

Truth be told, installing Win 7 has been a nightmare. I first tried (4 times) to do an upgrade to Vista. I got pret.ty close once because it said it was "finalizing my settings". But that "almost successful" upgrade process lasted about 72 hours before I finally gave up and did the clean custom build. But now much of my hardware is not working. Crap...........
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:46 am

I'm very happy with Windows XP Professional 32-Bit as my main operating system and see no reason whatsoever to change to using Vista or Windows 7 :whistle

PROfessional Member

Postby bbarry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:33 am

Grav!ty wrote:I'm very happy with Windows XP Professional 32-Bit as my main operating system and see no reason whatsoever to change to using Vista or Windows 7 :whistle

I wish I had your self-control. Fact is, everytime Microsoft comes out with a new OS, I must have it, lol. :drool:

I now have four computers in my house. Two work perfectly, with little grief - XP Professional and iMac/Leopard. ^*^

The other two are a pain in the butt - Vista and now Win 7. :-x

Thanks for your help and sage advice.............
PRO Level 3

Postby bbarry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Gravity, just thought I would let you know.............all is now well on my Win 7 machine. ^*^

I installed a new wireless adapter, after which Win 7 logged on and did an update. The update included drivers for all those things that still weren't working (sound board, printer, monitor resolution, etc.). Now I am playing with Win 7 in a dual boot mode with Vista.

Thanks for your help and replies.............
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks for letting us know and well done on getting that sorted. It's a bit weird that an MS card doesn't have Win 7 drivers hey.

PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support