A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Need to include Vista entry in GRUB

Need to include Vista entry in GRUB

Postby archp2008 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:12 am

Hello,
This is partly a Linux but partly a VistaBootPro 3.3 issue. I have a problem with VistaBootPro that I did not have before. I have a multiboot Linux and Windows System. I am using VistaBootPro 3.3 to dual boot between Vista and Win7 on one of my five drives. This still works, but only when I first select the appropriate drive via BIOS. I used to be able to use a Grub multiboot loader on the first partition of my first drive and choose to boot directly into the VistaBootPro loader as two of eight options right off my opening menu. I didn't have to bother to go into BIOS. This option was originally identified automatically by Linux Mint but not by Linux Ubuntu and I'd rather not have to reinstall Linux Mint still again. I've done it a dozen times already unsuccessfully. I keep getting Grub 17 errors. I can no longer do that. I'm fairly sure that I have the correct hard disk priority in BIOS and that I am pointing to the correct drive and partition. When i choose to boot Vista it says "starting up" or words to that effect, and then the computer just hangs with a blinking cursor and no disk drive activity. When I try to start Win7 the computer just reboots. It's been so long I can't even recall which of the two OS's I installed VistaBootPro on or how to go into the operating systems and find it. I know which piece of offending software likely caused this problem but I'm sure that forum terms of usage would prohibit my naming it or discussing it here. My question is simply this: Does anyone know how I should go about making VistaBootPro accessible from my main Grub boot loader again? What do I need to tell grub to load - the win7 partition or the vista partition or some other partition? Is there a third better solution? Thanks in advance for any comments.
Last edited by Grav!ty on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic title changed
PRO New Member

Re: VistaBootPro 3.3 problem

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:06 am

Moved to Linux forum - topic title changed.

This is not a VistaBootPRO related issued. You need to edit GRUB to include the Vista entry so that you can select either OS at startup from the GRUB boot menu. See how-to-edit-grub-default-os-multi-booting-linux-and-windows-t109009.html for some ideas.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Other Operating Systems