A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

need suggestion for a small network - linux or windows

need suggestion for a small network - linux or windows

Postby scion » Wed May 06, 2009 10:25 am

Hi all,

I have about 4-6 windows based users and we want to accomplish following tasks.

1- Set up users at centerlized location (like domain).
2- File & Printer sharing
3- Each user have his own network drive.

Iunderstand that last two are easy but I'm wondering if the 1st option can he done without purchasing windows server. Is there any linux/Opensource available to accomplish such goal?

suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Scion - The newest beast...
PRO Level 2

Re: need suggestion for a small network -- linux or windows

Postby gries818 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:37 pm

All three of these can be accomplished with the combination of a Linux server and the software Samba.

I'll need to do some more research on exactly how to go about accomplishing this (I'm also interested in learning how to do this ^*^), but it is possible. 2 and 3 are extremely easy to setup, but 1 is more of a challenge.

I recommend using Ubuntu Server 9.04. I can't remember if installing Samba can be done as part of the OS installation, but I do know it is fairly easy to install. Once the operating system has been setup and you have logged in, type

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

To make sure you have the newest version available, then type

sudo apt-get install samba

THIS site appears to have information on how to do it.

Let me know if you need any help!

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Re: need suggestion for a small network -- linux or windows

Postby gries818 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Also after you are done setting up Samba, you'll want to run this command to avoid the need to start up the computer:

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Re: need suggestion for a small network - linux or windows

Postby scion » Fri May 08, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks a lot. That is what i had in mind but didnt know what linux distro can help me most.

- Do you think having Ldap help? any instructions/cheat sheet??
- can we set up network policy for windows manchines while using linux as domain controller??
PRO Level 2

Postby gries818 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:27 pm

scion wrote:Thanks a lot. That is what i had in mind but didnt know what linux distro can help me most.

- Do you think having Ldap help? any instructions/cheat sheet??
- can we set up network policy for windows manchines while using linux as domain controller??

Yeah, as far as I am concerned Ubuntu is very easy to setup (as far as servers go). Other Linux distributions can apparently lean on the harder side of things.

- It is possible to setup an LDAP (https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverguid ... erver.html), but I don't think it's needed to get it setup as you need.

- I guess I'm not as familiar with Windows machines in terms of "network policy". I imagine it is possible though.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby scion » Fri May 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks again. I certainly do not need ldap but i was concerned about if i ever need to setup local email sever/instant messaging server...i can utilize that ...is that correct?

i m buildin it from scratch so it'll b nice and clean to plan it from begining...
PRO Level 2

Postby imnuts » Sat May 09, 2009 12:21 am

If you're referring to Group Policy as Network policy (such as account/access restrictions), you can set some of that up if Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro is used) is the domain controller, but I doubt you'd get to more than user access levels when configuring user accounts and you wouldn't be able to control the more powerful or restrictive user account settings. If you're running a Windows network and what the most out of it, you'd need a Windows domain controller. You may be able to get away with Vista Ultimate, though I don't know what all they included in it as I never wanted to create a domain. Linux would definitely be the cheapest option, though a little bit harder to configure and administrate.
PRO SUPREME

Postby scion » Sun May 10, 2009 9:19 pm

imnuts wrote:If you're referring to Group Policy as Network policy (such as account/access restrictions)

Yes i was refering group policy. You bet. I wont do what a windows native server can do to control windows client machines. As long as it is providing what i need, i'm cool!

a question/concern
- What would be domain user rights on local machine? I wanted to keep it to minimal...do you think it can be controlled by linux DC?
- I wanted to setup a group with install permissions so user may install if they are part of that group....is it possible too?

thanks Guys!!
PRO Level 2

Postby scion » Sun May 10, 2009 9:20 pm

another thing i noticed. You must have xp pro to be part of domain...is it correct? can we make home editions part of domain too?
PRO Level 2

Postby imnuts » Sun May 10, 2009 11:07 pm

scion wrote:another thing i noticed. You must have xp pro to be part of domain...is it correct? can we make home editions part of domain too?

You'll need to have XP Pro or it's Vista equivalent to join a domain. Can't do it with the home edition or most consumer versions of Vista.

As for user account restrictions, I think you just get basic items if you're using Linux as the domain server. You'd probably get Administrator, User, Guest, and possibly something in between User/Admin levels. I'm not sure exactly what all you'd have access to though as far as restricting/enabling other options.
PRO SUPREME

Return to Other Operating Systems