A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

My Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Install

Postby imnuts » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:35 am

Code: Select all
man fdisk

If you type that into the terminal/console, it should give you the manual for fdisk, the command-line partition editor.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 am

Thank you Mark. I'll try that on my next install which is just going to be to familiarize better with the install process. I want to use the command line so I know more about what's happening than just following the UI.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:53 am

I'm not sure how much free time you have or how "in-depth" you want to go, but Gentoo and FreeBSD (I know, not Linux) would be good for learning the command-line functions and what all goes on behind the scenes. Be ready to sit back and take a few days to get a fully functional desktop with GUI though. Granted, the time also depends on how much time you have available to devote to watching it all, but I would say it would take at least a day.
PRO SUPREME

Postby NT50 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:31 am

I way playing on net and found freespire. It is based on unbntu. I am installing it now, I started running the live edition and it was so easy for a linux stupid newbie like me to do exactly what I wanted to. I wanted something to access the HD and something to access my network storage with ease. I like it so much I am installing it on my test rig for the heck of it. I will see about taking a snapshot and posting it.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:04 am

Here are some snapshots. So far I am having problem swith something it is SLUGGISH. I think I have a hard drive going out.

PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:09 am

Hey that looks very nice Jeff. Is that Freespire 2.0?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:25 am

yep

It seems ok, I think I am having hardware issues though. I may switch the hard drive out and see if that helps.
I am trying to figure out how to remvoe program .... lololol
It has the CNR in it and you can get some basic free software for it. I know for a fact there is a way to mod a configuration file and have it download the same way ubuntu and kubuntu do.
Anyway, it jsut seem liek somethign I could waste antoehr coupel hours of my non free time ..... lololol
Who knows what I will install next.... I do like the live edition though... a lot
PROfessional Member

Postby Michaels » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:57 am

NT50 wrote:yep

It seems ok, I think I am having hardware issues though. I may switch the hard drive out and see if that helps.
I am trying to figure out how to remvoe program .... lololol
It has the CNR in it and you can get some basic free software for it. I know for a fact there is a way to mod a configuration file and have it download the same way ubuntu and kubuntu do.
Anyway, it jsut seem liek somethign I could waste antoehr coupel hours of my non free time ..... lololol
Who knows what I will install next.... I do like the live edition though... a
lot

on all .deb based distribution adept or synaptic can be used to installed and uninstall programs. while linspire, freespire and ubuntu can use CNR to install and uninstall. to use cnr in ubuntu you should visit the cnr site for a ''howto'' install cnr in ubuntu.

moreover, if i have to recommend any linux for anybody, stable, rich graphic interface and very user friendly . MINT, linux mint is a second generation of ubuntu that goes further than ubuntu in making sure user do not miss anything
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:59 pm

what flavor of mint

edit: I keep trying to d/l some of the mint releases and they have something screwy. I try to d/l a 688 mg file and it finishes at 10 mg. Tried several different locations, so I give up for now.
PROfessional Member

Postby Michaels » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:17 pm

NT50 wrote:what flavor of mint

edit: I keep trying to d/l some of the mint releases and they have something screwy. I try to d/l a 688 mg file and it finishes at 10 mg. Tried several different locations, so I give up for now.

download from here http://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php?id=15 this is main mint, DARYNA, which i referred to in my reply earlier. download is okay from here, takes just 10 minutes to download.

look at this page here http://linuxmint.com/download.php
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Operating Systems