A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Motherboard or GPU prob/What would you do?

Motherboard or GPU prob/What would you do?

Postby musksnipe » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:20 pm

I've got a problem that is getting expensive. (or may be)
I assembled a bunch of well used parts, mixed with new.
I have the system up and running or did for a minute anyway.
First, I had no video. I am trying to get a GTX 470 running on a P8P67 Pro board.
No go. After comparing amperage on the PSU, I found I was below the required 35 amps, so bought one that has more than enough
No go.
I have an old GT 8500 card. It will not run in either of the slots I am trying to use for the GTX 470. Not sure why but it does run in the last PCI slot.
I'm not really up to speed on slots. I have a PCI-Ex16, x8, and the last is for x4 and x1 PCI cards. The GT 8500 runs in the x4/x1 slot.
I'm thinking, I'm going to pull everything out and bench it. I am going to try the GTX 470 in that last slot, before giving up and paying someone to test the card.
If the card is good, will it run it that x1/x4 slot??? Or would I be wasting my time and should just have it tested?? Or could I hurt it or the board?
The problem is that I am not sure the card is bad. The fan runs, it gets warm, slightly, but there is no output.
The BIOS has one option for video. PCI/PEG. I tried both.
I also read that this particular board likes to lose those slots and there is no fix, so until I know the card is good.
Just want a little input, because I'm getting frustrated. And when I get frustrated, I buy NEW. My wife doesn't like that. :bashhead
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. - John Lennon
TOSHIBA Satellite A665-Intel Core i7 740QM - Too lazy to build a PC for myself. But, one of these days........
PRO Level 2

Re: Motherboard or GPU prob/What would you do?

Postby rippinchikkin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 am

do you have another motherboard you can try the video cards on? I had similar issues with an ASUS P4P8X years ago, the AGP slot kept burning out (one of them actually did look burned.) That was a picky motherboard, also turned out that it would only run the hyper-threading with a certain type of Samsung memory. Point is, it could be lots of different things, if you have a way to test the other parts and make sure its not them, then also check your motherboard and make sure there are no special requirements (mine said right in the manual that it would only run with the Samsung memory)
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Re: Motherboard or GPU prob/What would you do?

Postby musksnipe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks for the answer. :)
Yeah, I have another board, but it's in my wife's PC and that's a micro-ATX, so no room to drop the card in, without rearranging stuff. And she frowns every time I pop the cover, unless it's to give her new stuff.
I broke down and found a new place to go today. Our #1 repair/custom gaming PC builder didn't have a good enough PSU to test the card with. :whistle :rofl:
So, I took it to a place I saw the other day. He tested it in 5 minutes and it worked fine!!!
I got home, looked closely at the two slots and there are bent (smashed) pins in there. In both slots I could use. :bashhead
I found a good board to replace it, so I should be up and running an hour after UPS shows up. I hope.
Last I saw no HDD found and then a no MBR found message. I can fix that. I suspect a bad SATA cable or more weirdness with that board, because it did this when I first built it.
Sounds like Gigabyte won't be on my shopping lists, anymore.

And this is was a surprise, the wife said buy it when I was stalling!!! :notworthy
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. - John Lennon
TOSHIBA Satellite A665-Intel Core i7 740QM - Too lazy to build a PC for myself. But, one of these days........
PRO Level 2

Return to Hardware and Customizing