A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

mother board help

mother board help

Postby Bayman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:51 pm

I've got a Soltec SL-75frv mobo running my system at 200 fsb and 11.5X Multiplier.
I'm making a custom cooling system which should allow a better & more stable overclock. ^*^
Is there any way I can tweek the FSB further (200 is higest in BIOS)?
I have some very fast memory on board so the only thing holding me back is cpu temperature and FSB selection.
I know that I can up the multiplyer but I'd rather tweak the FSB if I can.

Thanks for any help.

~Bayman~
PRO Level 4

Postby k10wn » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:55 am

*me finds a piece of paper that was stuck to the sole of my shoe*...
Hmmm...it says, 'SoftFSB'

-----(For the simplified version of this text, skip ahead to the row of splats)----

Bayman, my great, great grandfather would probably tell you that Front Side Bus manipulation, done anywhere outside of the BIOS, is a bad idea.
The most extreme overclockers haven't been tweaking FSB's since the PII's, primarily because H.Oda's program (see above) was abandoned by Oda himself after the finalized version 1.7F...(there is a beta of 1.7G however). And the final version of that software was never intended for, or tested on any OS past 98.

But if you want to work from a hardware level, the first step is to find out the specific IC (more often referred to as PLL-IC) your mobo is using. Then, you can determine the frequencies that the board is even possible of running under and see if your BIOS is offering all it should. If it is...and it probly is, just set it on high and start workin on clockin the processor (a far safer venture). If the BIOS isn't making all possible frequencies available to you, make sure you've got the most recent BIOS update.

If you do have the most recent BIOS, and you can squeeze more out of your IC chip, you will have to be a master of hardware assembly language programming to safely manipulate the internal registers of the IC.

Even if you did manage to get the IC bumped above spec (via software or hardware manipulation) you would probly set your tower on fire. It's not quite the same as clocking your CPU or memory...you're basically attempting to overclock the glue that holds all those things together...

Basically, if you clock your CPU, the bus kinda acts like a big fuse for the other components, making total system meltdown mildly easier to avoid. Likewise, if you clock your memory, the system bus stands between it and all the other components of your system. But if you tweak the bus itself, then all the components of the system have to answer to the overclock directly.

Okay...lemme sum this up....

Forget overclocking the FSB.

However, if, after ALL that you wanna still go for it, here's a link to SoftFSB (both final and beta) and a wealth of information on how you might be able to manipulate the IC registers on your own from a hardware level:

http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?content=http%3A//www.plasma-online.de/english/upgrade/tweak/overclock/oc_soft_fsb.html

I got the itch to overclock once, and my great, great grandfather told me, 'k10wn, your Commodore has a data bus width of 8-bits with an address bus twice that...with the 64 kilobytes of memory running at 1Mhz, it'll be the fastest computer for centuries...'
and he said some more, but I saw something shiny so I'm not sure what it was...
but regardless, the point is, just get a Commodore 64...you'll thank me in the morning.
Last edited by k10wn on Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire
PRO Level 2

Postby imnuts » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:48 am

good explanation, it looks like something that weaver would put up.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Bayman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:21 am

Yeah it's quite spooky really!
I've heard about soft fsb, I was hoping someone had a more direct route for this mobo.
Don't worry every body I am not an extremist Overclocker I just like to get the best efficiency from my system. so I'm only looking at 5Mhz on the FSB most things should handle that.
The rest (I'm aiming for 2.5 Ghz ) will come form the multiplier and the enhanced cooling

~Bayman~
If stupidity got us into this mess......Why can't it get us out of it?
PRO Level 4

Return to Hardware and Customizing