A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Mobo's RAM and processors functions.......

Postby Huntnsinme » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:37 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzPERK........Thats what I am asking if there would be some sort of bottleneck at the cpu, or chipset.or mobo even?

"The only advice I can offer is that the design of the northbridge accepts only a specified # of slots and their paths are designed into the chip itself,." But can you make the paths accept more data?
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:20 am

Postby Weaver » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:41 am

Huntnsinme wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzPERK........Thats what I am asking if there would be some sort of bottleneck at the cpu, or chipset.or mobo even?

"The only advice I can offer is that the design of the northbridge accepts only a specified # of slots and their paths are designed into the chip itself,." But can you make the paths accept more data?


Generally no, not without redoing the logic inside the chip itself. If a bus is designed to move data 64 bits at a time, then trying to move 128 bits at a time is going to require more traces or reworked logic in the chip.

I should point out that I am not an expert when it comes to this subject, so don't take my word on it.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 1967
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:05 am
Location: /home/weaver/

Postby Huntnsinme » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:42 am

Weaver wrote:
Huntnsinme wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzPERK........Thats what I am asking if there would be some sort of bottleneck at the cpu, or chipset.or mobo even?

"The only advice I can offer is that the design of the northbridge accepts only a specified # of slots and their paths are designed into the chip itself,." But can you make the paths accept more data?


Generally no, not without redoing the logic inside the chip itself. If a bus is designed to move data 64 bits at a time, then trying to move 128 bits at a time is going to require more traces or reworked logic in the chip.

I should point out that I am not an expert when it comes to this subject, so don't take my word on it.
OK redo the logic in which chip? th enorthbridge? or the cpu?

-Weaver
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:20 am

Postby Huntnsinme » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:48 am

that didn twork..redo which chip, the northbridge or the CPU?
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:20 am

Postby Weaver » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:52 am

Huntnsinme wrote:that didn twork..redo which chip, the northbridge or the CPU?


I aplogize, but I do not understand what you saying. Please spend some extra time and assure yourself that your post is clear and concise. Error free spelling helps in volumes as well.

Thanks.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 1967
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:05 am
Location: /home/weaver/

Postby Huntnsinme » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:55 am

Weaver wrote:
Huntnsinme wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzPERK........Thats what I am asking if there would be some sort of bottleneck at the cpu, or chipset.or mobo even?

"The only advice I can offer is that the design of the northbridge accepts only a specified # of slots and their paths are designed into the chip itself,." But can you make the paths accept more data?


Generally no, not without redoing the logic inside the chip itself. If a bus is designed to move data 64 bits at a time, then trying to move 128 bits at a time is going to require more traces or reworked logic in the chip.

I should point out that I am not an expert when it comes to this subject, so don't take my word on it.

I am asking which chip you say would have to have the logic worked on? The northbridge or the CPU?

-Weaver
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:20 am

Postby Huntnsinme » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:56 am

Why is it doing that?
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:20 am

Postby Huntnsinme » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:57 am

Weaver wrote:
Huntnsinme wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzPERK........Thats what I am asking if there would be some sort of bottleneck at the cpu, or chipset.or mobo even?

"The only advice I can offer is that the design of the northbridge accepts only a specified # of slots and their paths are designed into the chip itself,." But can you make the paths accept more data?


Generally no, not without redoing the logic inside the chip itself. If a bus is designed to move data 64 bits at a time, then trying to move 128 bits at a time is going to require more traces or reworked logic in the chip.

I should point out that I am not an expert when it comes to this subject, so don't take my word on it.

-Weaver



Ok I am asking to which chip the logic would have to be redone? The northbridge or the CPU?
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:20 am

Postby tWeaKmoD » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:57 am

Huntnsinme wrote:Why is it doing that?


Are you hitting the "Quote" button on the top right hand corner of the post, or you clicking "reply" at the botom of the screen?
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 3813
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:39 am
Location: USA

Postby Huntnsinme » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:58 am

I knew this would get very technical, and thank you to everyone who is trying to help.
PROfessional Member
User avatar
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware and Customizing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests