A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Minimum C2D to run Vista Ultimate?

Minimum C2D to run Vista Ultimate?

Postby clarkgable » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 am

Hello all.

I currently have 3 OS's running on my system, Windows XP Prof, Vista Ultimate and 7 Beta. My hardware consists of a ATI Radeon X1950 Crossfire 512mb (though I have a spare HD3650 256mb which I may change to, especially as I don't really play games on it and am more interested in HD movies etc), 2gb PC5300 RAM, which I will probably upgrade to 4gb PC6400 RAM very soon (especially as I will most likely install the Windows 7 64-bit OS), 2 IDE HDDs of 160gb and 250gb with around 190gb spare. XP runs well without too many performance problems, 7 Beta is good, but Vista Ultimate SP1 performs badly for me when I run 3 or 4 applications simultaneously, with the CPU constantly at 100%. My feeling is that it is time for me to change my CPU, which is a Pentium 4 540 3.2ghz. I would like to get a Core 2 Duo, which would be able to deal with the performance requirements of Vista Ultimate and stop my CPU load being constantly at 100%. Does anyone know the minimum Core 2 Duo that would be able to deal with my requirements? I don't want to overspend on a CPU that is not necessary for me,

Thanks in advance!
PRO Level 2

Re: Minimum C2D to run Vista Ultimate?

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:55 pm

Which motherboard are you using clarkgable? Will it support a Core 2 Duo? I think that's the first thing one needs to be sure about.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby clarkgable » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:16 pm

Oh yes, my motherboard is the asus p5kpl-am. it supports c2d, c2e and c2q.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:05 am

Our minimum system requirements for Vista are:

*CPU 1.5 GHz*
*RAM 512 MB*
*GPU with DirectX 9 Capabilities*
*HDD 20-40 GB NTFS Formatted*

Based on that, I'd say select one from this list at Intel and from your motherboards CPU Support list at ASUS. I think get one with the largest L2 and L3 cache that falls within the price range you are looking at.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing