A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Memory Test

Memory Test

Postby azzum » Sun May 23, 2004 7:12 pm

Is there a utility that can check RAM chips? I've installed new RAM in a machine and it the correct speed for the motherboard but when I boot up Windows 2000 it comes back with a host of driver errors and memory errors that weren't present with the old RAM in place.

I don't know if there is a warranty or a guarantee on the chips but I would like to know if they are faulty before I try to return them.
PRO Level 2

Postby augie » Sun May 23, 2004 7:15 pm

Memtest86 You can make a bootable floppy or CD. Goodluck and welcome. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby OsirisX » Sun May 23, 2004 7:26 pm

Here's the link just incase you do not know where to look.
http://www.memtest86.com/
OsirisX

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein
PROfessional Member

Postby azzum » Sun May 23, 2004 7:31 pm

Thanks for the link, its running all 12 tests now, guess it should be done in 4-5 hours ... so I sit here and wait. Thanks again.
There's a great amount of stress accompanied with being forced to write something witty. So, instead of stressing over it, I'm going to take the easy way out and comment on my lack of pants at the moment.
PRO Level 2

warning

Postby rjz » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:29 pm

I had errors with mr ram that this test could find. The only way to bootup without errors was toi take my new ram out. Moving it did no good.
PRO Level 4

Postby Remix » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:47 am

I see two possibilities:

1. You didn't install it properly. As you probably know, RAM does require a ton of force to insert. Many a time I have fretted over what I thought was a fried motherboard or damaged processor, when the problem was the RAM was not properly seated.

2. You exposed it to static electricity. This is very easy to do in dry climates (although in Georgia, we don't have to worry about these things too much, especially during the summer) so I think that's a possibility. Also, many old Mobos will not accept RAM modules bigger than 128 MB. I was upgrading a friend's computer with a 512 MB stick, only to have it freeze on the POST screen and reboot. Check your motherboard's docs and see what the individual stick limit is.

I hope this helps!
PRO New Member

Return to Hardware and Customizing