A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

MacBook v. MacBookPro

MacBook v. MacBookPro

Postby gries818 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:19 am

So I've been planning to purchase a MacBookPro in a few months time to replace my aging Windows system. I had always planned on the 'Pro' edition because my experience from setting up a few relatives and friends on MacBooks was that they screens were a bit smaller to work on and that annoyed me. But my mother just got a new MacBook, and while I know the screen size is the same, I feel like the resolution is slightly better (maybe I'm just imagining things). Anyway, after using it for awhile, I feel like I could actually a MacBook and be ok.

If I were to get the MacBookPro I would probably get the base 15-inch model ($1999), but if I went with the MacBook, I would probably upgrade the hard drive to 320 GB and the RAM to 4 GB ($1849). Besides the screen size and the better graphics card, I would have a "higher" system with the MacBook model.

Maybe I'm making the choice too hard - after all, the MacBook is clearly cheaper for a little better hardware, but I'm just worried a 13-inch would be too small. Granted, I'll get a better picture of what I really want over the next few months as I play with my mother's, but the last time I had to use a 13-inch laptop it was too small.

Anyone have any opinions?

This is why I wait, probably too long, before upgrading - the second guessing process :lol:

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Re: MacBook v. MacBookPro

Postby RipFire12901 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:51 am

With the two choices you gave, I would choose the Macbook due to the many bells and whistles you changed on the configuration. It's amazing to have large amounts of RAM and an enormous HDD. If the screensize is an incapacitating problem, attach an external monitor like I do.

:yesnod:
(temporarly empty)
PRO Level 13

Return to General Tech Chat