A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

lsass wants port 500

lsass wants port 500

Postby augie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:24 pm

I checked this out with process viewer. All files were in Windows/ System32 on the boot drive. Child to parent is as follows per Process Explorer: lsass/ winlogon/ smss /system. Everything looks fine except for where this wants to go. The only Chinese program that I use is Maxthon browser and it shouldn't be asking for access on port 500. I've run virus and spyware scans and they came up clean. :confused :help:

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby smebobo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:31 am

Hi there,

Most likely you have no real need to be concerned.. LSASS is used for some parts of authentication during logon, namely the IKE of IPSec. This will include if you have your machine configured to log into a VPN using IPSec instead of PPP, or if you have any active IPSec policies applied to your machine. If you disable the use of IPSec on your network the LSASS udp requests to port 500 go away, But it isn't harming anything..

Hope this helps,
Sean
PRO Level 3

Return to Security & Virus