A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

LOTS of problems with Firefox 3.5

LOTS of problems with Firefox 3.5

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:55 pm

I have been having a lot of aggravation with Firefox 3.5. I installed it on 4 computers and 3 different OSs.

First there were odd conflicts with the Google Toolbar Add-on which caused strange behavior in the Firefox toolbars on XP. After being unable to fix it by reinstalling the Google Toolbars and/or reinstalling Firefox, I finally fixed them by uninstalling the toolbar, uninstalling Firefox AND the settings, then upgrading to the newer Google add-on (Google Toolbar is one of the few that doesn't update itself unless you have the Google Toolbar Notifier running in the background all the time) and then reintalling Firefox.

Next, one of my XP computers mysteriously downgraded back to FF 3.0.12 for some reason. The others are fine. I upgraded it back.

On another computer with XP 64 I was getting repeated lockups with FF taking up 100% CPU.

Now I am having problems with, I think, javascript, although I'm not sure. I am unable to accept new friends in MySpace. Whatever scripting they use isn't working. I click the buttons and nothing happens. This is on XP 64.

Today I upgraded to 3.5.2 and guess what? On the page that says "You’ve been updated to the latest version of Firefox," there is a video. On XP 64, when I clicked to play it locked up FF at 100%. Then I tried again and it plays about one second and stops. The same thing happened on Vista 64. On another XP computer it works but stops and starts all through it. On another XP computer it pays just fine.

When a popup window comes up (download manager, pictures that open in new window) I cannot close it from the X. I have to exit using the taskbar. Sometimes I cannot X out of a tab with the x until after hitting it several times. This is on XP 64.

I upgraded to 3.5.2 today but this was also happening with 3.5.1.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? On 3 of the 4 computers my settings in FF have not changed and I never had problems like this before.
Media Director

Re: LOTS of problems with Firefox 3.5

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:44 am

Oh boy! I thought it was just me and Firefox having some serious disagreements again. Mine (3.5.2) does none of that but as soon as a I close out of a site like here at PRO, I have to log in again. It remembers the username and passwords like it's set to but I think it's cookie handling has gone for a Chuck Berry...loop de loop. This only happened after the update from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2 for me. I haven't been to any OS other than XP Pro 32-bit but I'm go to see if I can turn auto updating off in FF.

It took a reformat and reinstall of XP for me to fix the issues I was having with it before firefox-3-5-beta-4-t108804.html#p787840

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:01 am

Wow, well I definitely don't want to have to reinstall the OSs. I've got this happening on 4 different computers with XP 32 (2), XP 64, and Vista 64. Behavior varies from one to another but its worst on XP 64 which is my main OS.

I've also noticed an extreme lag time. Interestingly FF 3.5 is supposed to be twice as fast as 3.0.

Worst case scenario I'll just roll back to 3.0. That is, assuming my OSs aren't hosed now.
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:44 am

OK. I exported/imported all my FF bookmarks to IE8 (that's the only way I know how to back up FF bookmarks), uninstalled Firefox 3.5.2 then deleted all cookies, Mozilla/Firefox application data and settings and folders, and all files containing any reference to Mozilla/Firefox. Then I rebooted and installed Firefox 3.5.1 and disabled updates, imported my bookmarks from IE8 and it's auto logging me on again even after a restart :peanutbutta

Firefox 3.5.1 can be downloaded here (direct download link from File Hippo) or else select it from the list on the right here.

Not sure that will solve your issues Larry but it seems to have fixed mine.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:15 am

You can actually backup your FF bookmarks fairly easily. I've done it before, Just go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup

Then you can save it as an HTML file (Export HTML) or click Backup and save it as a .json file. Either one can be imported back into FF using the same procedure and just clicking Import. :yesnod:
Media Director

Return to General Tech Chat