A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Lost 2 boots while trying to add a third with VBP3.1 Help!?

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Lost 2 boots while trying to add a third with VBP3.1 Help!?

Postby Ecat » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:18 pm

Ive suddenly got myself into a problem with Vista Boot Pro 3.1 beta.

I had (have) a dual boot cofiguration with XP( C: ) and Vista B2( V: ) on the same disk (diff partitions). Been going great since June. Now I wanted to install RTM on a physically separate disk( U: ). I expected that it would simply add itself to the list with the other two but it didnt. So when I booted I got the same old choices as before. To get to the new Vista install, I had to put the dvd in the drive and it would load it. But no choices for the other two (VistaB2 or XP) Hope this makes sense.

Now all this time, XP has been on C: and Vista B2 has been V: I assigned my new separate drive & partition the letter U: from within Vista B2 but when the new install of Vista is loaded, it calls itself C: And of course I cant change it while its the functioning boot drive. I dont remember choosing a drive letter during the new install last night and maybe thats why the new one is C?

So I thought VBP might be the way to go. So I added VitsaRTM to the list (from withing VistaB2) and gave it the drive letter U: I also changed the names, but not the drive letters, of the existing two installs but I would imagine that changing the names of the other two is not the problem. But then again, what do I know. lol.

Before making these changes I made a backup as VBP suggested but Im not sure what good that does me if I cant get back in to restore it. I can load VBP from the new install and do the recovery bit from there, but it seems to me that it would change the boot stuff on the new install and I would then loose my last remaing entry into the computer. The backup that it made was VBP_Backup.bcd and VBP_Backup.bcd.LOG. Are these of any use to me from a totally different OS than they were created? As is my only option at the moment. Ill try and also post a picture of the errors I get when trying to load either XP or VistaB2. But this is my first post here so I might mess up.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi Ecat and welcome to PROnetworks. I think the problem you are encountering is as a result of the new drive having set itself as the System drive and I'm pretty sure you would see that from Device Manager when booted to RTM.

For the other two OS's to be able to boot, I suggest you copy NTDETECT.COM, ntldr and boot.ini and paste them to the root of system drive which appears now to be your Vista RTM drive. You may have to set folder options to show hidden files and folders and not to hide hidden operating system files before you can see them to copy them. You will have to edit the boot.ini file so that it points to the correct drive and partition as per your changed drive structure.

Once you have those on the system drive, boot from your RTM DVD and at the "Install now" screen, select Repair at the bottom left. It should then launch directly into Starup Repair but if it doesn't then select Startup Repair from the menu you are presented with.

After that is complete you should have your bootmenu back again.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Ecat » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Well looking in the Device Manager in RTM, the drive is listed with the others but I dont see anything about any of them being the system drive.

The drive with XP & B2 is Location 0 (Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)
And the drive with RTM is Location 0 (Channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0)
Does that tell you anything? I do know that the XP & B2 drive is Disk 0 and the new one with RTM is Disk 1. Or at least they were
. Theyre SATA wich is still new to me compared to the old Primary-Seconary-Master-Slave routine. So, with SATA, does the physical place on the mainboard still actually dictate the priority of the disks like it used to?

Now as far as copying NTDETECT.COM, ntldr and boot.ini and placeing them int the RTM root, I assume youre saying to copy them from the XP root? Seems weird to have those in the root of Vista but Ill give it a shot. Just a little confused at the moment.

Hopefully the pics I posted didnt mess you up. I originally labeled the errors and their associated Os's backwards and then edited my post with the corrected pic.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:29 pm

I'm sorry I mean Disk Management and the files must go to the root of the system drive once you've identified which one it is

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Ecat » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:44 pm

Thanks for the attention Gravity. ( :
Well RTM looks like its the system drive but wouldnt they all look that way from within themselves? I mean if I was able to get into XP right now, wouldnt it look like its the system?
Could you be a little more specific about editing the boot ini. The only editing of the boot ini Ive ever done was changing the names in a dual XP environment. Never any of the other parameters. And Im assuming you talking about editing the one thats been copied over to RTM? And leave the one in XP's root alone?

Heres Xp's Boot ini:
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
c:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /CMDCONS

XP has always been C. Even when looking at it from Beta2 wich was, itself, V. But in RTM XP is on E and Beta2 is still V. So Im still not sure what I need to be pointing and what I need to be pointing to.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:50 pm

Nope there can only ever be one system drive on a system and it will show up as the system drive no matter which intallation you are booted to.

If you post a screenshot of Disk Mangement, Ill be able to indicate how to change your boot.ini

PROfessional Member

Postby Ecat » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:52 pm

When you say system drive, do you mean Active? Because my XP drive is the only one that says active in Disk Management.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:04 pm

Ecat wrote:When you say system drive, do you mean Active? Because my XP drive is the only one that says active in Disk Management.

I mean the drive which is shown as system drive in disk management

PROfessional Member

Postby Ecat » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:04 pm

Well I just noticed that it says D is my system. And its just a storage partition. But it has in it:
BOOTSECT.BAK - 12-7-06 (Lats nights install)
and
bootmgr - 11-2-06

It looks like when it was installing, it put those there. And who knows what else and where else. Weird. So it looks like I want to get the other two back and just dump this install of RTM. Doesnt seem right to have its core files strewn about like this.
PRO New Member

Postby Ecat » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Also in that D partition is the Boot folder and all its contents also from the same time last night. Sheesh. This install really got botched.
PRO New Member

Next

Return to PRO Software