A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Live OneCare + Others

Live OneCare + Others

Postby TV-VCR » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:21 pm

Just wondering... are there any "Anti-" programs I can install on my machine that won't interfere with my Live OneCare?

I tried AVG but I had to uninstall it because OneCare threw a fit over it.

Just programs like Spybot. It runs along with OneCare fine.

Thanks.
PRO Level 7

Postby dlr_graph » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:08 pm

In the past if AVG is installed after One Care it works fine. What is so good about One Care anyway? The inability to disable the "Tun-Up" feature should enough not to use it aside from having to confirm programs through the firewall multiple times.

Is this the latest Beta release or 1.5?
PRO Level 2

Postby augie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:42 pm

I would think that anything that doesn't run in the background would be 'safe', like SpyWareGuard and SpywareBlaster et al. As dlr_graph intimated above, why bother with paying for OneCare if you don't trust it, there are enough freewares out there to take care of the job in XP and I use Avast free with Vista's FW.

I currently run AVG free and PCTools firewall and ZA FW before that for XP with the above two that I mentioned and have been running this combo without any problems for the last five years. It's up to you of course, it's just my opinion.:)

BTW, it's never a good idea to run more than one firewall or AV, they do not mix as they interfere with each other, you have to choose one or another. In this case more is not better. :no
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby TV-VCR » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:23 am

I'm running version 1.6, I am using Vista.

I wanted to use OneCare, because after reading several reviews, I thought it would be better because OneCare works in conjunction with Vista's security features, unlike others which simply stomp all over it. I have also found OneCare not to be "incredibly annoying" like some have said. The firewall confirmations basically go away after it knows what to do with all the programs on the PC, and I like the tune-up feature. I also think the price is very fair. I've always thought it was kinda silly to pay $80 to protect your computer.

And I trust OneCare, just I have a bad habit of feeling it's not "enough".
PRO Level 7

Return to Security & Virus