A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Lenovo OEM Vista, XP boot

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Lenovo OEM Vista, XP boot

Postby JackyLam » Wed May 09, 2007 2:11 pm

I would like to know if there is any other method to reinstall the boot menu for Vista. My friend got a lenovo PC with Vista Home Premium installed and I created a partition for installing WinXP. After, vista cannot be loaded. I tried to restore from a Vista Ultimate Retail CD but failed. The VistaBoot cannot restore the Vista boot manager even though I tried many times to restore it. I would appreciate it if somebody can help.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed May 09, 2007 3:05 pm

You can try by using a command prompt and bootsect.exe. You'll need to boot into XP and then copy bootsect.exe from the Windows\system32 folder of Vista and paste it to the Windows \system32 folder of XP (it won't do any damage there).

Once you've done that, open the dos prompt and type CD\ and press Enter and then type bootsect /NT60 ALL and press Enter. Reboot and you should have your Vista boot menu back with a line for "Earlier versions of Windows".

If for some reason that fails, then copy and paste bcdedit.exe from the same location as above from Vista and paste it to the same location as above in XP and from the command prompt, run bcdedit /enum and copy and paste (right click the open DOS window) the text contents here for us to take a look through to see where the problem is.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software