Laptop Processor

Postby mido.813 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

I have a very simple Question
I know how to change my Laptop ram
but I wanna know can I change its processor is there any opening
PRO Level 3

Re: Laptop Processor

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:30 am

It is usually fairly difficult to do this, as it involves opening up the laptop as well as finding a compatible processor -- but laptop motherboards are usually designed for very specific equipment, and their BIOS may not always support a replacement CPU. Also a fair number of laptops are so designed so that you actually cannot open it where needed.

This would have to be a personal project on your behalf, and not guaranteed to succeed.
PRO VETERAN

Postby ar1stotle » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:59 am

Well actually, I've found that with a few new laptops you just have to remove the heatsink and then you can remove the processor.... If you can get a compatible mobile processor, it might be possible. But you have to make sure the one currently in your laptop is accessible and as far as compatibility, it's hard to say.
PRO BRONZE

Postby mido.813 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:25 am

In my Toshiba L300
there is 3 opening in the bottom
the first is the battrey
u can find the ram in the second
I didn't open the third before so I was wandering that if I can find the processor in it
PRO Level 3

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:01 pm

This is from the Toshiba FAQ :

Toshiba wrote:CPU: The CPU is in almost all cases "socketed" which means the CPU is removable from the system board, which does not mean that the part should be exchanged/upgraded or modified by the customer.

A replacement of that system core component only will be made during a repair in an authorized service center if the component is defective and needs to be replaced. In a case of a defective CPU, it will be replaced with the same part and not with a higher type.

It is uncertain if the new CPU is compatible to the system board. The built-in chipsets may support from their technical specifications a wide range of CPUs but this does not imply that all CPU types can be used in a mobile system since the built-in cooling systems were designed individually for each model series to ensure the optimal operation of the machine. A wrong CPU can cause the system to overheat and damage some of the internal system components.
PRO VETERAN

Return to Hardware and Customizing