A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Isn't a 240 day Windows Server 2008 trial a bit long?

Isn't a 240 day Windows Server 2008 trial a bit long?

Postby Andrew. » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:35 am

I haven't posted here for the last few years, so forgive me if this has been posted before, but I was just shown this article by Microsoft, which describes how to rearm Windows Server 2008 trial, so it effectively can last for up to 240 days...

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that evaluation time is seriously crazy for Microsoft to support? I mean thats about eight months, on average approximately eight times the length I would usually have any given installation up for.

When its easy to install Aero on Server 08, this is ironically close to something I would expect to see from a more unlawful group.
PRO Level 12

Postby Absolute-Zero » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:55 am

ChasingVertigo wrote:I mean thats about eight months, on average approximately eight times the length I would usually have any given installation up for.

The trial probably isn't aimed at home users testing out Operating Systems but more for those in businesses who wish to check if upgrading their current OS t0 Server 2008 is a viable option. Therefore eight months is a pretty good length of time. It gives you plenty of time to check applications, web services, etc, that you may be reliant on.

Why they've done it this way and not, simply, changed the "timebomb" to 240 days, I'm not sure!
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:52 am

Absolute-Zero wrote:Why they've done it this way and not, simply, changed the "timebomb" to 240 days, I'm not sure!

The average casual downloader simply isn't tech-savvy enough to follow even those simple steps IMO :P

1) Clicking Windows.torrent = EASY

2) Deploying the 2008-edition Windows Server OS as a desktop OS for fun and leisure, for 240 days : grrr dis is da annoying !!!

---

Frankly, the number of people combining the tech-savviness with the lack of finances implied is likely to be so small as to be often ignorable. :)
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Tech Chat