A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Internet Speed Decrease using 54g wireless router

Internet Speed Decrease using 54g wireless router

Postby RichManFL » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 pm

I have been noticing a speed decrease on my Comcast connection, and had a Comcast technician come out to test lines and everything worked fine. He used a website to test the Upload and Download speeds within their network and the upload speed was very close to 10 MB/s and the download speed was right at 25 mb/s when my desktop was directly connected the cable modem.

My network is a Netgear RP113 8 port 10/100 wired router with VPN. Attached to this router is a Buffalo 54g WIRELESS router setup to act as an access point only.

What I notice is that with everything unplugged off the Netgear router except for 1 desktop, and the router connected to the cable modem. In this configuration, the Upload speed was just short of 7 MB/s, but the download speed dropped to around 6.2 MB/s.

Any reason why this is happening? I decided to take another Netgear wired router and swap the routers out with little or no difference. I have checked configurations, and nothing is special or out of the ordinary. The DHCP is being handled by the Netgear, and no encryption is in effect with the wireless router at this time. All speed tests have been done with LAN connection desktop connected to the port on the Netgear.

Perplexed in FL
PRO New Member

Re: Internet Speed Decrease using 54g wireless router

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:56 am

Hang in there for someone more familiar with your setup to help RichMan.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 am

Could be the firmware, router, QoS, or just Comcast not liking the router. Also, is the test from the same page that the Comcast Tech did the test on or from somewhere else? It could also be that you're being throttled since it isn't a Comcast specific site. The other fact is that it's cable internet (and Comcast for that matter) and speeds advertised aren't guaranteed.
PRO SUPREME

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Yea, see if there is some firmware upgrade for your wired router as well. And when you say it's got VPN, are you implying that it's active? I'd try to disable all extra firewalls and services associated with the router to see if you get a speed increase. You could also try another brand of router as well. Maybe Netgears just don't play well with your modem.
PRO BRONZE

Return to Hardware and Customizing