A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Interesting Story... from news

Interesting Story... from news

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:35 pm

Proving the motto "My enemy's enemy is my friend," Microsoft foes Sun Microsystems and Lindows announced an alliance to put Sun's StarOffice software on Lindows.com's operating system.

The deal will make StarOffice 6.0, an alternative to Microsoft's Office suite, the first commercial application available to run on LindowsOS, a nascent Windows rival that combines a Linux OS and compatibility with Microsoft programs.

StarOffice, which debuted two months ago, will be made available through Lindows.com's "Click N' Run Warehouse," an online supply closet of hundreds of applications that allows LindowsOS users to customize their OS.

Downloading StarOffice, which Sun priced at $75.99 when it debuted in May, will not cost LindowsOS users more on top of the Lindows.com $99 membership fee. The basic version of Microsoft Office retails for $479.

"We find the Click-N-Run concept extremely innovative, and Sun is proud to now be part of the LindowsOS warehouse," said Mike Rogers, Sun's vice president and general manager for desktop and StarOffice products, in a statement. "Customers are increasingly looking for a cost-effective desktop productivity alternative that is complete, easy to use, and compatible with their Microsoft Office file formats."

StarOffice works very similarly to Office, allowing users to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations on the Linux, Solaris and Windows platforms. The suite uses an open Extensible Markup Language-based file format as its default, enabling anyone the ability to use widely available tools to open, modify, and share StarOffice content -- including some with Microsoft's Office import and export filters.

Source: Neowin.net

"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby Weaver » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:21 pm

Lindows takes yet another step in the right direction. Glad to hear it.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
PROfessional Member

Postby hoss » Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:01 am

Also. . .
StarOffice is described as a Microsoft Office compatible suite, but what does that really mean? The question many ask is
Hoss
PRO Level 4

An added break for 'nix'

Postby wiz4648 » Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:10 pm

Wally World is now selling preloaded systems with Lindows. Also Red Hat is to be an alternative. Cuts down on the driver searches and installation headaches for you, doesn't it? I think the news article I read in this AM's paper was saying the systems will run about $650.
/--==={\./\./}===--\
PRO Level 3

Postby Weaver » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:28 pm

As is Wal-Mart. They will be selling Lindows based PC's as soon as a final release is available.

As of now, half of all Microtel PC's sold through the popular chain are sold packing the punch of Mandrake Linux.

-Weaver
Public Keys

The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:53 pm

Wally World = Wal-Mart right??

I know here in the south we call them either... just making sure
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby Weaver » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:08 pm

(Light going off in head...)

Put two and two together and got the square root of sixteen...

Wally-World, Wal-Mart...

-Weaver
Public Keys

PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:19 pm

LOL, I was just making sure....
President

Postby Weaver » Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:17 am

I like a man who appreciates stupid math jokes.

-Weaver
Public Keys

PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:05 am

For a guy who is disturbed by math.... I could use many math jokes.

This semester in college it appears I'm taking, hrmm Math, Math, Weird Math, and Very hard Calculus Math.

To say the least, if I'm allowed to leave my cave this fall I'll be a miracle.

To the Math Cave...
President

Next

Return to Other Operating Systems