A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Integration, icons, shut down

Postby obi1kenobi » Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:27 pm

I had no problem until upgrading to XP Home.Support at Incredimail claims my problems with the program shutting down may be due to an integration problem with Internet Explorer. The second problem: when I move from any program or page back to the desk top, All the Icons have reverted to the windows page and then they reload. Third: ACDsee has to reload all the icons on each visit to any file as does the Add Remove program. Fourth: When I choose shut down it restarts. I have had to shut down with the power button the last couple of days. Can anyone help?
PRO New Member

Postby zalez » Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:36 pm

Try this for the shut down problem. It is from a tip site. <b>My Computer Won't Shut Down Itself After Installing XP</b> There are a number of users who have been complaining that their PC will no longer automatically power down/shut off without pressing the power off button on the computers unlike in Windows Me/95/2000. There could be a number of reasons for this - but the main one seems to be that ACPI is not enabled on the computer or in Windows XP. Here is how to enable it: Click - Start - Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - Power Options Tab Then click APM - Enable Advanced Power Management Support
PRO Level 3

Postby obi1kenobi » Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:35 pm

Then click APM - Enable Advanced Power Management Support I don't have this option available just "UPS which is currently stopped"( I quote)
PRO New Member

Postby zalez » Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:05 pm

I wonder if the Home version doesnt have that power option. It should though I would think. I would have to agree with Eric, Try to format and start with a clean install. -zalez
PRO Level 3

Postby smithsi » Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:21 am

trust me every version from 95 on up has that......it sounds like she doesnt have acpi turned on in her bios <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Morpheus Phreak on 2002-01-15 02:21 ]</font>
PRO New Member

Postby obi1kenobi » Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:38 pm

I don't know the reason for it not shutting down but it is an on again off again problem. The firsst week it was fine. Sometimes it shuts down normally. Sometimes only the Standby function will work. Last night I hit close down and it got as far as " saving your settings" and wouldn't go any further. I waited for 5 mins before hitting the power button.
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support