A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Installing Win7 on 2nd harddrive

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Installing Win7 on 2nd harddrive

Postby EFSEAR » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi there.

Just thinking of installing Win7 on another HD, right now I only have XP on my main. As my motherboard allows you to choose which device to boot from, but just wondering if this will alter the MBR. I tried this once before on an older computer and it wouldn't boot the original operating system, just the new one recently installed. That time I left the old HD installed while installing the new HD and operating system.

So what I would like to know is, on this new computer if I temporarily disable the main HD whilst installing the new HD and OS, will it still alter the MBR when I power both HD's, or will both HD's have and keep their own MBR's? I really don't understand how it works. :rofl:

Thanks.
CPU i7 870 @ 3.5Mhz Memory 8GB CORSAIR DUAL DDR3 Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5850
Hard Drive 1.5TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s Sound Card ASUS XONAR DS Power Supply 800W Quiet Quad Rail
Case PCS MAELSTROM T900 CPU cooling v8 Coolermaster OS Win 7 x64
PRO New Member

Re: Installing Win7 on 2nd harddrive

Postby shreader » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:12 pm

W/ XP already installed you can install 7 but will need to modify the XP boot.ini to be able to boot into XP again.
Chech the PROnetworks Guides section for more info on this.
Software Director

Postby EFSEAR » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks.

Which guide is it though? Sorry to be a pain. The nearest one I can find to my situation is for installing XP on a machine with Win7 pre-installed. It's the other way around.

Edit: Think I found it, is this the correct one ? Just making sure.

http://www.dualbootpro.org/index.php/si ... parate_hdd

So I won't actually need to use DualBootPRO?
CPU i7 870 @ 3.5Mhz Memory 8GB CORSAIR DUAL DDR3 Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5850
Hard Drive 1.5TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s Sound Card ASUS XONAR DS Power Supply 800W Quiet Quad Rail
PRO New Member

Postby EFSEAR » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Is that correct then? I won't need to use DualBoootPro if I install Win7 on a second HDD without messing the MBR on the XP HDD using the steps in that guide and still be able to boot from both HDDs? I just want to make sure before I commit.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:19 pm

That guide should work. In looking at all of our guides I couldn't find one specifically to installing Win7 after XP. This is due to the fact that you are installing a newer operating system in conjunction with the older one. Since you already have XP installed, once you install 7, there won't be any issues with booting to either one. :yesnod: Windows 7 will automatically detect the XP installation and add to your bootloader. If it doesn't, then you can use DBP to install it. ^*^
VP - Software

Postby EFSEAR » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Ok thankyou for the reply :yesnod:
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems