A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

installing vista along with XP Pro 64 and XP Pro

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

installing vista along with XP Pro 64 and XP Pro

Postby yeshuas » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:49 am

Will I be able to install Vista along side XP Pro 64 and XP Pro, and is there anything I need to do prior to trying it?????
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby The Phoenix » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:35 am

Should not be a problem, if your installing Vista to a sep partition after you have already got both those XP's sorted it should detect them and put them on Vista's boot menu as well.

Just so you know you will have to go through two options though, Vista's Boot Menu can't boot direct to a copy of XP so if you dual boot xp's and Vista you will have to choose "Earlier version of Windows" to get it to load xp's bootloader and then choose the xp you want. There does not appear to be a way of adding the xp's direct to the vista boot menu that works, it's been tried, not even sure it is even possible mainly due to the fact that the vista bootloader is completly different tech to xp's. Just in case you did not know.
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby yeshuas » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:36 pm

The Phoenix wrote:Should not be a problem, if your installing Vista to a sep partition after you have already got both those XP's sorted it should detect them and put them on Vista's boot menu as well.

Just so you know you will have to go through two options though, Vista's Boot Menu can't boot direct to a copy of XP so if you dual boot xp's and Vista you will have to choose "Earlier version of Windows" to get it to load xp's bootloader and then choose the xp you want. There does not appear to be a way of adding the xp's direct to the vista boot menu that works, it's been tried, not even sure it is even possible mainly due to the fact that the vista bootloader is completly different tech to xp's. Just in case you did not know.

I didn't know, but suspected since boot.ini and NTLDR were maintained after Vista install. I hope to try installing it tonight (Friday), that is the whole reason I went to the trouble of deleting and re-installing XP Pro 64 so I could re-partition that hard drive from 200 GB to 4 smaller partitions. Not quite ready to give up XP yet. Most of the programs I use run on Vista, but a couple, well not as well as on XP.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Windows Boot Problems