A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Installing Ubuntu in VMWare issue.

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Installing Ubuntu in VMWare issue.

Postby yeshuas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:30 pm

This guide is not made for a novice like me, it is missing steps that are probably obvious to others, but not me.

I downloaded and installed VMWare, and during installation it said that first I had to install IIS, which ended up, that I had to go to Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows Features on or off, that wasn't a problem.

I downloaded and burned the Ubuntu ISO to a CD, no problem there.

I started VMWare and created the VM per the guide.

Now is where I am stuck, as I don't see how to get the VMWare to start the Ubuntu CD,
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: Installing Ubuntu in VMWare issue.

Postby augie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Ya, as I said in the guide it's not for novices and it is somewhat advanced, though BillMCC66 is folding now in VM.:). I'll be redoing the guide as I'll be setting up shop in Vista 64 next week when I get my extra sticks of memory and I'll include your adventures too. I agree, it is a bit intimidating at first but you'll get there. :yesnod:

Just have the Ubuntu CD in the drive and hit 'New Virtual Machine', you may have to do this twice for the CD to be recognized, then Ubuntu will install, add the appropriate info that's requested and away you go!

EDIT: you may want to check Bill's thread here on "Ubuntu Virgin" for some other hints, last three pages would probably apply to you too.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:06 pm

It acts like it doesn't find the CD Rom drive, the CD drive doesn't light up at all, I have tried the auto-detect, tried having it set for where the disk is i.e. G:\
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:28 pm

OK, just to make sure we're on the page Dan, you clicked the radio button Linux and then chose Ubuntu 64 bit from the dropdown list right? Then the next screen that comes up in VM is 'Start this virtual machine' and it should go. You sure you burnt it as an ISO? Sorry for the simplistic questions.;)

If everything is right then you should get the stylized crane desktop and just double click the install icon.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 pm

I uninstalled it and I am currently installing it again, this is the first sorta error message that I get

And then I get this one after it starts to install

Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Well, as long as you can surf in Ubuntu then you will be fine. Just curious here as I haven't seen those errors, did you check your BIOS to see if virtualization is on? Just a shot in the dark here.

I'm still trying to install VMWare Tools so I can get the info that FahMon needs for the status of the VM WU instead of reading the time/frame, checking psummary for the project points and then calculating the PPD. And no, I'm not anal. :P :lol:

Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:57 pm

augie wrote:Well, as long as you can surf in Ubuntu then you will be fine. Just curious here as I haven't seen those errors, did you check your BIOS to see if virtualization is on? Just a shot in the dark here.

I'm still trying to install VMWare Tools so I can get the info that FahMon needs for the status of the VM WU instead of reading the time/frame, checking psummary for the project points and then calculating the PPD. And no, I'm not anal. :P :lol:

I am unable to do anything, because VMWare is not finding the CD drive at all, so it is also not finding the CD that has Ubuntu on it. I followed your links and downloaded the VMWare and Ubuntu that you had the links to. I think maybe VMWare is not installing correctly, and it may be because of my setup, SATA harddrives in a Raid 0 and my DVD drive is also SATA.
I did check to make sure that Virtualization is enabled, so that is not it at least.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Well, I can't help you out here on RAID but there's 2M hits on google with VMWare and RAID, lots of slogging through the mud there. :no Try the site I sent to you or EOC where you get the stats from. These are the real experts.

BTW, Dave's old thread is still on page one in google! ^*^

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:26 pm

I don't want to butt in on this post Dan & Augie
I had the same problem with not finding the CD so i loaded the file to C/users/name (for me was BILL)Downloads and ran the file from there.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Please but in any time you wish Bill as no one knows everything. Your comment is excellent!

Community Director

Next

Return to Distributed Computing