CPU intel Duo 2 Q6700
ram DDR3 4gb
GPU nvida GTX260

I am also using some older parts.

300gb hard drive
40gb hard drive (for OS)
CD reader
DVD read/write
These parts have IDE connections and the motherboard only has 1 IDE connection, so i have connected the 2 hard drives to that.
My problem now is that the 2 CD/DVD units have no where to connect.
I have 6 SATA connections on the Mobo and spare PCI/PCI Express connections on the board,
Is there a converter that will allow me to install these units?

STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Re: IDE to SATA or PCI

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:52 am

A PCI IDE Controller will do it. The two slots on the upper left of your motherboard image are PCI slots. PCI IDE Controllers typically have at least two IDE slots on them.

I'm not sure whether to suggest you plug your HDD's or the CD/DVD drives into it, to make sure you have the best throughput to the HDD's. It may be worth experimenting a bit with that and checking where you get the best read/write and disc access times, but I think the motherboards built in IDE controller is probably faster than the PCI IDE Controller.

In the meantime before you get your PCI IDE Controller, it's probably OK to plug in one drive as the Master (at the end of the IDE ribbon) and one of CD/DVD drive as a Slave (in the middle of the ribbon). You may have to change the jumpers on the back of the CD/DVD drive to Slave.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 am

Thank you i will give it a try and see.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:24 am

Ya, the HD transfer speed will drop to the optical levels but if this is just a folding machine, then you wouldn't even care. You could even remove the optical once the software is loaded. :yesnod:

Yes, I've had some coffee since my last post!Image :lol:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Grav!ty wrote:A PCI IDE Controller will do it. The two slots on the upper left of your motherboard image are PCI slots. PCI IDE Controllers typically have at least two IDE slots on them.

I'm not sure whether to suggest you plug your HDD's or the CD/DVD drives into it, to make sure you have the best throughput to the HDD's. It may be worth experimenting a bit with that and checking where you get the best read/write and disc access times, but I think the motherboards built in IDE controller is probably faster than the PCI IDE Controller.

In the meantime before you get your PCI IDE Controller, it's probably OK to plug in one drive as the Master (at the end of the IDE ribbon) and one of CD/DVD drive as a Slave (in the middle of the ribbon). You may have to change the jumpers on the back of the CD/DVD drive to Slave.

You may want to compare the price of the Controller card to the price of getting 1 new SATA DVD drive.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Ya, I'd keep the HD and toss the optical or at least give it to someone.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:40 pm

augie wrote:Ya, the HD transfer speed will drop to the optical levels but if this is just a folding machine, then you wouldn't even care. You could even remove the optical once the software is loaded. :yesnod:

Yes, I've had some coffee since my last post!Image :lol:

What i intend is to load XP on the second machine but once i can get it running i can load everything from external HDs or flash drives.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:What i intend is to load XP on the second machine but once i can get it running i can load everything from external HDs or flash drives.

Well, you could always load the first hard drive as Master and the DVD as Slave, install XP, then replace the optical drive with the second hard drive ... if you think you could survive on this PC with no permanently installed optical drive...
PRO VETERAN

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:47 pm

I am in deep water guys and need some help.
I am not sure if i have got the BIOs right?
When i fired it up everything is working and it goes to bio setup, i have tried to follow the manual but there is so much in it.
I saved the setup and it automatically rebooted, then it started memory check so i let it do all that it gave success for the memory and then said BOOTMGR is missing press "ctrl+alt+del"to re-start but if i do that it will not react so i used the on/off switch if i switch it back on it goes to memory check once again and gets to the same point BOOTMGR is missing.
Any help for an idiot would be gratefully recieved.
Bill
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:29 pm

On some motherboards you should just clear CMOS first time you fire them up... and only tweak your settings *after* you have an OS installed ;)
PRO VETERAN

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing