A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

IDE to SATA or PCI

Re: IDE to SATA or PCI

Postby augie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Does the BIOS even see the hard drive?
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:41 pm

I think you need to set the DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS and then boot to the DVD or CD of the OS you want to install . It will be necessary to reinstall your operating systems.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:48 pm

OK i will try that but is does not seem to see the DVD drive?
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:04 pm

OK i did that and got the screen for my mobo press "F to continue "press "delete to enter setup" so i press F and it goes to memory sheck and ends with the same message BOOTMGR is missing so i press ctrl+alt+del to restart and then it reboots and i just get a black screen.
I knnow the DVD is running because i can feel it but the light on my KVM switch is flashing as if it can not connect.

Please be patient with me if i make mistakes because i have a memory retention problem due to many years on heavy meds from the doc.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:07 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:OK i did that and got the screen for my mobo press "F to continue "press "delete to enter setup" so i press F and it goes to memory sheck and ends with the same message BOOTMGR is missing so i press ctrl+alt+del to restart and then it reboots and i just get a black screen.
I knnow the DVD is running because i can feel it but the light on my KVM switch is flashing as if it can not connect.

Please be patient with me if i make mistakes because i have a memory retention problem due to many years on heavy meds from the doc.

I am not sure if it sees the hard drive or not, i will swith boot sequence and see .
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Grav!ty wrote:I think you need to set the DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS and then boot to the DVD or CD of the OS you want to install . It will be necessary to reinstall your operating systems.

I did that and it comes always to BOOTMGR is missing.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:29 pm

If you're getting the bootmgr is missing error message that indicates your system is going directly to the HDD and not finding the CD that is in the CD/DVD drive. Does the CD/DVD drive show up in the BIOS? It should be if you are able to select it as the first boot device, in which case it could be that your actual installation CD or DVD is not being read. I take it you're installing Windows XP from what you said earlier Bill?

Maybe just boot to your Vista DVD to see if that boots ok.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 pm

I switched the hard drive for one with an OS on and changed boot menu to boot from HDD.
It starts up and after a list of details it gets to "verifying DMI pool data"and then it just hangs with the flashing cursor.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:OK i will try that but is does not seem to see the DVD drive?

You have a hardware issue then. I had problems using an IDE/SATA mix on my '06 AMD X2 build. Can you transplant a SATA HD temporarily?

Ooops. I see you're ahead of me.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks for your time guys i will have to shut down now as i have an appointment with my surgeon. It is still not booting but i will get back to it in the morning.
Bill
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware and Customizing