A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

I've been hacked

Postby Xstream » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:19 pm

paypal wasnt tampered with, my ebay preferences were changed. what happened is that they took over my ebay account with its 99.5 % positive feedback and listed about 80 bogus items, then changed my preferences so that anybody who bought a fake item, would send a paypal payment to them, not me. All the listing confirmation emails went to them, not me. It was discoved by ebay who noticed the strange activity.
so they got my ebay password somehow.
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:23 pm

Xstream wrote:paypal wasnt tampered with, my ebay preferences were changed. what happened is that they took over my ebay account with its 99.5 % positive feedback and listed about 80 bogus items, then changed my preferences so that anybody who bought a fake item, would send a paypal payment to them, not me. All the listing confirmation emails went to them, not me. It was discoved by ebay who noticed the strange activity.
so they got my ebay password somehow.

If that's the case, then they likely either phished your eBay information or guessed your user/pass. I'd be more inclined to go with the first option. Like I said, it can happen and you'd never even know it. I didn't realize it when it happen to me until someone else told me it had happened to them via email and they were locked our of their account.

I would work this out with eBay... and try and think of when this happened. Then you can retrace your steps, look at emails, etc to see if you can find out what caused this.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:28 pm

WEP appears to be a stronger encryption to me (just my opinion)

You can check what your settings are by opening your web browser and typing 192.168.1.1 (Linksys router internal IP) in the address location.

netgear internal IP address is 192.168.0.1

U.S. robotics use 192.168.123.254

SMC uses 192.168.2.1
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:43 pm

kanaloa

I wouldn't be to quick to discount a hacker either these new devices that have wireless and bluetooth capabilities can have an antenae that will pick up a signal from a block away. People have boosters on their routers so they can pick up there own signal from any location in their house and then couple that with someone boosting their pickup with a good antenae.............

I caught the guy almost a block away from me piggy backing my wireless router with his laptop computer. I noticed a unknown computer in my network list, took my Dell Axim X51v turned on the wireless funtion and drove down my street and picked up his signal. Until that I just had my router password protected thinking that was good enough. Now it is 128 bit WEP encrypted.
Software Development

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 pm

If you have WPA, use that as it is much more secure than WEP, which is rather simple to defeat, as there are tons of tools on the web for this
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Xstream » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:44 pm

yeshuas wrote:WEP appears to be a stronger encryption to me (just my opinion)

You can check what your settings are by opening your web browser and typing 192.168.1.1 (Linksys router internal IP) in the address location.

netgear internal IP address is 192.168.0.1

U.S. robotics use 192.168.123.254

SMC uses 192.168.2.1

mine is a belkin. what do I use for that?
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Every consumer router product has its own default TCP/IP address and DHCP settings; don't so much be concerned with those, but DO check on your wireless security settings. WEP is easily defeated, so avoid it and use WPA or WPA2 if you wireless NIC and router support it
PRO PLATINUM

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:30 pm

kd1966 wrote:Every consumer router product has its own default TCP/IP address and DHCP settings; don't so much be concerned with those, but DO check on your wireless security settings. WEP is easily defeated, so avoid it and use WPA or WPA2 if you wireless NIC and router support it
I stand corrected as to the superiority of WPA over WEP.

I only included the internal Ip addresses so the person could easily access the setup of their router and make the changes to their security settings.

For the Belkin router I believe it is 192.168.2.1
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kd1966 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:08 pm

Yes, by default each router product will have its own TCP/IP address settings and the brands differ slightly as to what specific address they use. I think I azzumed he could already access the settings of the wireless-router. And thinking on this again, as well as what others here have stated, it appears his account was phished somehow, but it's always good to secure your wireless from those unsavory types........
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Xstream » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:32 am

this is what my security settings show....

PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus