A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

I really wish more documentations could be provided…

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

I really wish more documentations could be provided…

Postby phi333 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:22 am

Hi, I just purchased DualBootPro, I never fooled around with BIOS and I am a little scare screwing thing up. I have a Toshiba satellite with vista installed. I am using a SATA enclosure (external drive) with usb connection to load all my programs so I don’t interrupt my daily business and when is complete it I will switch hard drive.
My questions are:
1) Operating System showed 2 drives C: and D:(is my DVD-CD), when I pluged my usb it show on E: What is the solutions.
2) when the above is figure-out, what is next? Advanced Setting or Sys. Booloader?
3) any documentary on those 2 choices? I am sure is not difficult when you know! but is Chinese (writing)for a novice
Please advice, Thank you for your prompt attention.
Phil
PRO New Member

Re: I really wish more documentations could be provided…

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:43 pm

It is, as you will no doubt understand, impossible to provide documentation for every possible hardware/hard drive configuration and every possible level of understanding thereof phi333.

Check out our Guides forum at the link below where we endeavor to cover the basics, and if still have questions, feel free to post them. We will respond:

guides-f250.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:59 pm

little confused as to the switching of drives, are you saying that you are going switch the drive in the enclosure with the one installed in the conputer and expect to boot off of it?

or are you saying that you are going to try to switch the drives in the bios and try to boot off the drive while it is in the USB enclosure.

In either case neither will work, unless you had at some point had the harddrive that is in the enclosure, in the computer and installed the Operating system on it, and then taken it out and put it in the enclosure. You will have to put it back in the computer to boot off of it, but you can't boot off of it while it is in the USB enclosure.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby phi333 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Hello, gentlemen, Thank you for your prompt attention
I want to set a boot on my external Hard drive (sata-usb connection)
Note: Vista is already installed on the external drive
Could you help me with the following;
1) I back up my registry
2) I rename OS Entry. The name is in RED?
3) Operating System showed "ONLY" 2 drives C: and D:(D:is my DVD-CD), when I plugged my usb it show on E: only in my Computer folder. What is the solutions.
4) when the above is figure-out, which tab should I choose? Advanced Setting or Sys. Bootloader?
5) what is next step
Sorry to be so incompetent
Thank you, Phi333
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:21 am

I could be wrong but I don't think you can boot Windows from a USB device.

They do make motherboard bios, that you can make a USB device bootable, but I don't think Windows will work.

I believe you can boot Free Dos, Unix such as Linux and Free BSD, maybe a limited form of Windows (maybe Windows Thin PC) but not full blown Windows
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:38 am

I have not heard of booting from a USB connected Hdd either.

I have booted (Win7) from a eSATA Hdd though.
It is seen in Computer w/ a drive letter (along w/ all the other partitions on it) & is seen in the BIOS too.
I did install Win7 on the eSATA drive while it was a eSATA drive.

Note:
eSATA = external SATA drive.
eSATAp = self powered as compared to eSATA devices which requires external power source.
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems