A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

I killed XP with Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby NT50 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:04 am

I'm surfing for a recovery program now. Im trying to find the thread from just the other day.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:13 am

Maybe Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro could recover your data. The trial version will allow you to see the data is so.

The site is here

Download the trail and see if it will see the data.
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:34 pm

Possibly you can find one of those free Ultimate Boot CD's that has recovery software on it..............

Or seeing that you used PM, do you have a bootable PM CD/floppy to help "recover" the partition?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:20 pm

cmjentinger....

What is the status of your problem so far..........
PROfessional Member

Postby cmjentinger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm at work. I'll get back on it as soon as I get off. Thanks for the ideas. More to come.
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 pm

I think you should do a repair install of XP, ie boot from the CD and continue as if for a clean install, but then when prompted repair your XP ; then install VistaBootPRO and reinstall the Vista Boot environment ; reboot ; I don't think your data is lost :no
PRO VETERAN

Postby cmjentinger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:19 pm

What would happen if I delete the Vista Boot info within BootPro? Will that frag the whole thing? Or, will it restore the boot info manually entered for XP?
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:44 pm

When you "uninstall" the Vista bootloader, what actually occurs is this:
Bootsect.exe /nt52 is run which converts the boot manager back to XP (Or earlier boot.ini)

All that is affected is VISTA BOOT FILES, not any of the data, so Vista is STILL installed, just not the bootloader. Should you get your XP fixed, then you can install VistaBootPRO in XP and REINSTALL the Vista bootloader, which runs: Bootsect.exe /nt60 which actually installs the files/folders required by Vista to boot. Also here, this does NOT disable XP from booting, it simply replaces the older boot.ini file for booting Vista; boot.ini IS still used by XP and you simply place the "entry point" to earlier versions of Windows in the Vista bootloader to access these older Windows OS's
PRO PLATINUM

Postby cmjentinger » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 am

Good news maybe. I obtained a CEmini boot cd and was able to restore WinXP fully. ^*^ Sweet. I gots my data now. But, now I can't see vista at all.

The 50 GB partition, partition 2 is there physically but not in spirit. How can I get both to show up and boot? I ran BootPro and the running XP OS does not show up. Vista (recovered) does. I have a couple of errors with BootPro while running it in XP.

PRO Level 2

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems