A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to use Vbootpro to setup dual boot! [RESOLVED]

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby kd1966 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Please identify the IDE disk and the SATA disks; also, which HDD is the first to boot in your BIOS?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Robbie6265 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:34 pm

kd1966 wrote:Please identify the IDE disk and the SATA disks; also, which HDD is the first to boot in your BIOS?

OK, would you know the easy way for me to tell Which from what....
and I'll edit the first boot drive @ BIOS in a min or two...
Thankyou.... kd1966

1. I have not found a "software" way yet, to tell IDE from SATA

2. The first HD to boot in BIOS is......

A.- in Boot Disk Priority section...3M-WDC WD1600JD only selectable one in there BTW

B.- in Hard Disk Drives...section...
1.= 3m WDC

2.= PM WDC

3.= 4M WDC
PRO Level 2

Postby Robbie6265 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:07 pm

The error I get when I try to boot into XP from my "daul Boot"" screen
is the same as a few others Iv read in here about,....
"Windows Failed to start, a recent Hardware or Software change might have...etc etc"

File \ntld

status Oxc000000f
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:52 pm

Well, in your BIOS either under the "General" screen or the HDD section should tell you what you have plugged in at each "port" (For IDE it would be primary/secondary or slave, and for SATA it would be a channel or something along those lines)
You should have a listing of your primary and secondary (If applicable) IDE channels, as well as the available SATA channels and what's plugged into them
PRO PLATINUM

Postby kd1966 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 pm

What I'm getting at is your BIOS boot drive and your Vista "System" drive may not be in agreement

EDIT: Also, did you unplug any of your HDD's when installing Vista? and then plug them back in afterwards?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:12 am

You said you had the 3 file from XP on drive D:
ntldr
NTDETECT
boot.ini

Copy those three file to the root of drive C:

Reboot and tell us what happens then please
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Robbie6265 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:34 am

NT50 wrote:You said you had the 3 file from XP on drive D:
ntldr
NTDETECT
boot.ini

Copy those three file to the root of drive C:

Reboot and tell us what happens then please

No I said they were on my C: Drive wich I was exspecting them to be on my D: drive were XP is installed ?......

""yeshuas wrote:
Can you post a screen shot of you disk management window. Also make sure you have these 3 files in the root directory of D

boot.ini
NTLDR
ntdetect.com

vista search is showing up...
ntdetect.com on C:/
boot.ini on C:/
NTLDR on C:/

XP IS on my D:/ drive for sure...
and Vista on my C:/ ""............
THE ABOVE is from http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewt ... p?p=708884 NOT sure why this seems to be a seperate "place"
but Oh well... as you/s can tell, I havnt been in to many forums over the last 20 computing years :(

I will attempt to copy them to the D: drive though which is what I think you ment to say.....as these are XP boot files etc, and XP is on D:.
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:44 am

The file have to be on the "system" drive also which is your drive C
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Robbie6265 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:59 am

NT50 wrote:The file have to be on the "system" drive also which is your drive C

I have copied them to the D: drive From the C: drive, so they are on both, shall post back what happens,
as only XP will "bother"with them anyway.

And Thanks again for Help/Info.
----------------------------------------------
ALL FIXED Guys.......

I now have DUAL BOOT Working OK. :)
AFTER copying boot.ini,NTLDR, and Ntdetect.com to my D; Drive !!

I seems that VistaBootPro, or my use of it at least had Moved
boot.ini
NTLDR
ntdetect.com
To the C:(Vista) Drive From my D: (XP) Drive, as these files were not on my D: Drive anymore. ????
I KNOW that I didnt manually move these Files, so I can only put it down to VistaBootPro and the way in which I used it, but again, I would not have got it to do this knowing that they are of no use on my C: (Vista) drive, as VISTA has changed all the rules when it comes to the boot process.
But I now have a copy of these files on both my drives...

I only hope this Information may help Others with a similar problems...
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:59 pm

Let me try to help you here with the drive lettering.............. Vista will in most cases take the C: drive letter for itself; this IN NO WAY changes where your other data/OS's are PHYSICALLY located, as Vista just reassigns drive letters to suit itself. this will NOT change how XP or other OS's view your drive letters when booted to those OS's.

"USUALLY", in most cases, the very first OS you install on your computer will be the SYSTEM partition; so in cases where Vista was installed first, Vista partitions show up as the "System" drive, but when you install XP AFTER Vista, due in part the fact that XP is older, XP will, IN MOST CASES, change the XP partition to be the "System drive", thus killing the Vista bootloader until you reinstall it using the Vista DVD (Repair my computer option) or using our program VistaBootPRO 3.1 (The recommended choice)

Just because Vista is the "C:drive" DOES NOT make it the System drive............ I have installations of Vista where Vista takes the G, D, and F drives and NOT C, but I also have Vista installs that DO take C and are NOT the System drive/partition.

Glad you got it fixed!
PRO PLATINUM

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems