A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to set up a home server on Windows or *nix (Updated)

Postby tWeaKmoD » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:13 am

This is great! Thanks for the info shougan!
PROfessional Member

Postby tWeaKmoD » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:57 am

OK Question. How can I get php enabled on this server?

[edit] never mind, I got it! This is super sweet.
PROfessional Member

Postby shougan » Sun May 21, 2006 8:17 pm

Added the Ruby on Rails bit.
Do you want the latest news on Betas & Software, Security, or even Vista? Check out our <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/home_index.php" target="_blank" class="postlink">news areas</a> and be sure to <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/main/newsletters.htm" target="_blank" class="postlink">subscribe to our PROneT newsletters!</a>
PRO Level 15

Postby tWeaKmoD » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:52 pm

I should throw out a little disclaimer. I was running my main PC as a webserver hosting a website. The website was never made public but a hacker got into it. My firewall was disabled and then an FTP client was installed on my web server. I cought it before any problems could arrise, but I haven't ran my server since then nor have I reaserched how I got hacked.
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:01 am

tWeaKmoD wrote:I should throw out a little disclaimer. I was running my main PC as a webserver hosting a website. The website was never made public but a hacker got into it. My firewall was disabled and then an FTP client was installed on my web server. I cought it before any problems could arrise, but I haven't ran my server since then nor have I reaserched how I got hacked.

If it was while you were at school, likely it was a random attack. People tend to search college campuses for open systems to play around with cause of the high bandwidth that they have. Makes anything that they start from the system get out to the world fast and have more up/down capabilities compared to most residential internet connections.
PRO SUPREME

Postby shougan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:50 am

imnuts wrote:
tWeaKmoD wrote:I should throw out a little disclaimer. I was running my main PC as a webserver hosting a website. The website was never made public but a hacker got into it. My firewall was disabled and then an FTP client was installed on my web server. I cought it before any problems could arrise, but I haven't ran my server since then nor have I reaserched how I got hacked.

If it was while you were at school, likely it was a random attack. People tend to search college campuses for open systems to play around with cause of the high bandwidth that they have. Makes anything that they start from the system get out to the world fast and have more up/down capabilities compared to most residential internet connections.

Yea probably was a random attack, and running on a residential connection is much safer, though thats odd how the hacker gainned access.

-Sid
Do you want the latest news on Betas & Software, Security, or even Vista? Check out our <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/home_index.php" target="_blank" class="postlink">news areas</a> and be sure to <a href="http://www.pro-networks.org/main/newsletters.htm" target="_blank" class="postlink">subscribe to our PROneT newsletters!</a>
PRO Level 15

Postby tWeaKmoD » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:25 pm

imnuts wrote:

It was at school but it was not on the college LAN that are in all the dorms. I am not sure what type of internet was used where I was at, at the time. I am guessing it had to have been random since my website was not public, nor did I have a domain name for it.
PROfessional Member

Postby shougan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:55 pm

tWeaKmoD wrote:
imnuts wrote:

It was at school but it was not on the college LAN that are in all the dorms. I am not sure what type of internet was used where I was at, at the time. I am guessing it had to have been random since my website was not public, nor did I have a domain name for it.

It was most likely and attacker who just noticed you had port 80 open for running the http server.

-Sid
PRO Level 15

Postby imnuts » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:22 pm

Computer Guru wrote:Some people *cough* CG *cough* just run TCP syn checks every time they connect to a network, and if they notice a port 25 (not 80 BTW) had a FTP Server installed (client is what you connect with ;)) i'm sure they'd have gotten curious...

Moral of the story: use the firewall :)

umm, port 25 is SMTP, Port 20 and Port 21 are used for FTP and 22 for SSH/SCP/SFTP
PRO SUPREME

Postby tWeaKmoD » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:43 am

Computer Guru wrote:Some people *cough* CG *cough* just run TCP syn checks every time they connect to a network, and if they notice a port 25 (not 80 BTW) had a FTP Server installed (client is what you connect with ;)) i'm sure they'd have gotten curious...

Moral of the story: use the firewall :)

Ohh I use a firewall...
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts