A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to rid of dead hard drives

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:36 am

I just put the platters on my speaker magnets and crank up teh stereo.. 1200 watts does the trick i believe. then i scratch them with a wirebrush, then toss it in the trash.
PRO Level 15

Postby einstein3756 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:15 am

There are some good utilities that you should be able to download and use which will get rid of all the data on the drives. The one I use is found at Iolo.com. One of their programs called "System Mechanic" has a 30 day free trial and they have what is called "Incinerator" that just takes a minute to install and it will overwrite whatever files you put in it up to 10 times even though the government considers 7 times to be enough for maximum file destruction.
There are two ways to live your life. One is as if there are no miracles. The other is as if everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)
PRO Level 2

Postby trex » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:31 pm

system mechanic works good . keep in mind it over writes free space so wipe the drive . being a mechanic for real, my oxy- acetelene torch will send it flying across the garage floor in molten flaming balls.
PRO Level 4

Postby imnuts » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:43 pm

if you want to erase the data, use dban. It's what a lot of places use to kill the data securely on their hard drives, and it works fairly well. the only problem I have with it is that you need a ps2 keyboard for it. other than that, it works great.
PRO SUPREME

Previous

Return to Security & Virus