A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

HOW TO Install SATA as Boot Disk with GA-8KNXP

HOW TO Install SATA as Boot Disk with GA-8KNXP

Postby Frog » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:56 am

Mac33... I'm back up and running....
I have now completely rebuilt my system (no LH yet.. :whistle :whistle :whistle ) and had many issues setting up with the new SATA HD on this awesome GA-8KNXP MOBO
I have put together this "HOW TO" to help out the members with the same board. It may be applicable to others, I only tested on GA-8KNXP

Hope this help's everyone(sorry so long... but it's detailed)
You should print this out B4 starting to have on hand to follow along... you may not be able to get web access until you're back up-n-running again.

HOW TO INSTALL SATA as BOOT DISK
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34500

SECTION 1

Download latest SATA
Last edited by Frog on Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Keep us informed .... Be informed

FROG here... :wave: (a.k.a. Robby)
XP PRO
P4 HT 3.0/1/800
GA-8KNXP MOBO
2gb dual channel ram
XFX GeForce FX5700 nVIDIA 8xAGP 256mb
(3) 260gb SATA Maxtor HD
(3) 160gb Maxtor HD
16x DVD/RW
21" LCD
PRO Level 2

Postby rji2goleez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:05 am

This is a great post!

But I have one question. As you add a drive to the IDE_0 channel as a master, doesn't it assume the Drive C designation and reassign your SATA Boot drive?

That's what's happening to me.

Trying to install a raptor 75gb drive on the Intel channel as master with two HD on the IDE channel (master and slave) plus two additional SATA drives on the SIL chip. IDE_1 channel is for CD Rom drives.

How should I proceed in this case? If you wouldnt mind emailing me at Edited out by RRCinci, I would be very grateful.

Bob

We don't "do" email addresses in open posts as that opens you up to all kinds of "spam-bots" etc.!! We do however, recommend the use of PM's (Private Messages) to do the same job.

Paul
Just trying to always squeeze blood out of a turnip.
PRO Level 2

Postby rji2goleez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:07 am

By my setup above, I shouldn't need to enable GigaRaid since IDE channels 3 and 4 are not being used.
PRO Level 2

Postby rji2goleez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:41 am

Never mind. I followed along to a 't' and it worked like a charm.

75gb raptor for OS in intel SATA

2 x 120 gb EIDE on IDE channel 0
2 x 100 gb SATA on SIL
CD/DVD Rom on IDE channel 1

Now I only need to hookup the 120 gb firewire drive and I'm on my way.

Again, thanks for a great post.

Bob
PRO Level 2

Postby Frog » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:30 am

rji2goleez wrote:This is a great post!

But I have one question. As you .....

....install a raptor 75gb drive on the Intel channel as master with two HD on the IDE channel (master and slave) plus two additional SATA drives on the SIL chip. IDE_1 channel is for CD Rom drives.

How should I proceed in this case? ....

Thanx for the compliment rji2goleez, and WELCOME to PROneTworks :thumbs: Sorry for the late reply.

It looks like you missed the part in ADVANCED BIOS Features... "If after adding drives, your system does not boot from the Sil SATA drive, check setting in BIOS under Advance BIOS Features, in hard disk boot priority, make sure to set Sil SATA as #1"

You see, This step is what sets the BOOT ORDER of the channels that are in use, the master/slave jumpers come into play after BOOT ORDER is carried out giving instructions over which drive takes priority when more than one is on a channel.

XP PRO
P4 HT 3.0/1/800
GA-8KNXP MOBO
2gb dual channel ram
(3) 260gb SATA Maxtor HD
(3) 160gb Maxtor HD
16x DVD/RW
21" LCD
PRO Level 2

Postby Frog » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:40 am

rji2goleez wrote:By my setup above, I shouldn't need to enable GigaRaid since IDE channels 3 and 4 are not being used.

This is correct, ^*^ but keep in mind that if you later install to IDE 3 / 4, you will need to set the GigaRAID function to "ATA" or you will not see each drive separately. If you leave the function set to RAID, your drives are seen as one combined unit, not two separate drives.
Last edited by Frog on Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

XP PRO
P4 HT 3.0/1/800
GA-8KNXP MOBO
2gb dual channel ram
(3) 260gb SATA Maxtor HD
(3) 160gb Maxtor HD
16x DVD/RW
21" LCD
PRO Level 2

Postby Frog » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:49 am

rji2goleez wrote:Never mind. I followed along to a 't' and it worked like a charm.

75gb raptor for OS in intel SATA

2 x 120 gb EIDE on IDE channel 0
2 x 100 gb SATA on SIL
CD/DVD Rom on IDE channel 1

Now I only need to hookup the 120 gb firewire drive and I'm on my way.

Again, thanks for a great post.

Bob

Thanx for posting your results :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
:btw: If everyone posted their results, It would help keep things rolling for the BEST forum on the net ! ! ! :usa :usa :usa

I'm glad to hear this helped you out.
Good luck

XP PRO
P4 HT 3.0/1/800
GA-8KNXP MOBO
2gb dual channel ram
(3) 260gb SATA Maxtor HD
(3) 160gb Maxtor HD
16x DVD/RW
21" LCD
PRO Level 2

Postby rji2goleez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:37 pm

To anyone else attempting this, it's important to keep a couple of things in mind:

1) Once your OS is loaded on your SATA drive, each time you add a drive, check the Bios for the hard drive priority boot order. I found that the priority would change requiring that I put my SATA drive back to 1st piority.

2) My install was a fresh install where one of my EIDE PATA drives originally had the OS. Even though I deleted and recreated a partition, I had some initial issues with hidden system files finding their way to this drive and causing a remapping of my drives such that the SATA was remapped from Drive C to D to E. Eventually, I received an ntdlr missing error.

To avoid this, consider clearing the CMOS (remove then replace the battery) and then begin with only your SATA drive by the above process.

This was by far, the best description of how to take advantage of this motherboard!

I now have five working hard drives booting to a raptor 75GB 10K SATA drive. Zoom-zoom-zoom!
PRO Level 2

Postby rji2goleez » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:15 pm

Just finished adding the firewire 120gb drive. Installed the firewire card, hooked up the drive and Windows picked it up without a hitch. Six total drives on my system now . . . .

FROG, thanks again
PRO Level 2

Postby Frog » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:19 pm

rji2goleez wrote:To anyone else attempting this, it's important to keep a couple of things in mind:

1) Once your OS is loaded on your SATA drive,
each time you add a drive, check the Bios for the hard drive priority boot order. I found that the priority would change requiring that I put my SATA drive back to 1st piority.

2) My install was a fresh install where one of my EIDE PATA drives originally had the OS. Even though I deleted and recreated a partition, I had some initial issues with hidden system files finding their way to this drive and causing a remapping of my drives such that the SATA was remapped from Drive C to D to E. Eventually, I received an ntdlr missing error.

To avoid this, consider clearing the CMOS (remove then replace the battery) and then begin with only your SATA drive by the above process.

This was by far, the best description of how to take advantage of this motherboard!

I now have five working hard drives booting to a raptor 75GB 10K SATA drive. Zoom-zoom-zoom!

This " each time you add a drive, check the Bios for the hard drive priority boot order. " is the key to the whole sequence when adding the additional drives as I mentioned in my original post. It isn't a fault in the board... it just doesn't know what you want to do when you introduce a new drive. :oops: :dontgetit :-? Then if it knew... the darn thing wouldn't need us :lol: :uhhh :uhhh :question

I don't think you need to pull the battery and clear the CMOS :question

A quick run through of Section 1 steps 1-8 then setting the BOOT ORDER should keep things in working condition.

I don't know why, but like you, I tried MANY times to setup with a drive having existing OS installed also and NO CAN DO !!! I contacted Gigabyte Tech Support on this issue. They replied that you MUST either "repair the existing installation" or start with FRESH installation... "no if, and's, or but's" I have "so far" found this to be true. If anybody reading has " successfully " installed a boot drive with existing OS installed.. please post how you did step-by-step for the rest of us to learn.

Thanks again for your post rji2goleez ...
And again... WELCOME to the B E S T forum on the net!

XP PRO
P4 HT 3.0/1/800
GA-8KNXP MOBO
2gb dual channel ram
(3) 260gb SATA Maxtor HD
(3) 160gb Maxtor HD
16x DVD/RW
21" LCD
PRO Level 2