A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

HOW TO Install SATA as Boot Disk with GA-8KNXP

Postby silven » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:15 pm

:unsure: I... downloaded the si3112 driver and opened that folder onto a floppy. but.. when i try to setup through xp pro, go through the press "s" thing.. it just completely doesnt recognize that i have the floppy disk that it wants..

is this just a floppy drive issue, or is there something else i should do.. to do.. something... ..? :confused
"when i was little, my father was famous.. he was the greatest samurai in the empire, and he was the shogun's decapitator"

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 w/
Zalman AlCU 7700+ Heatsink (woosh!)
1 GB OCZ Extreme PC-3200
Gigabyte 6600 GT
PRO Level 2

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:52 pm

Hello silven, and welcome to PROneT! ^*^ Hopefully someone will come along and help you with your problem, but in the meantime please say hello in our Introduction Area. :yesnod:
Media Director

Postby Frog » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:52 am

silven wrote::unsure: .... it just completely doesnt recognize that i have the floppy disk ....
is this just a floppy drive issue, or is there something else i should do.. to do.. something... ..? :confused

Hello silven and Welcome....

Here are a few things I can think of to check:
1) are you sure the power and data cables are plugged in firmly?
2) are you sure the data ribbon is not reversed(easy to mix up on a floppy)
3) is the activity light flashing at all during boot up?
4) do you hear the heads moving at all during boot up?
5) if 3&4 are no, are you sure the drive isn't dead(swap with drive from a second PC or a friends pc if available just to be certain)
6) try putting a blank(non-system) disk in before boot up to see if it will "HAULT" the start up with NON-SYSTEM DISK error.
7) checked your BIOS to have drive A: enabled, If not change the options to include drive A:
8) watch CLOSELY as your screen list the POST results(use pause/break if necessary) it should show drive A:

Post your results when you check these out...
Good Luck

God Bless you
FROG
Keep us informed .... Be informed

FROG here... :wave: (a.k.a. Robby)
XP PRO
P4 HT 3.0/1/800
GA-8KNXP MOBO
2gb dual channel ram
XFX GeForce FX5700 nVIDIA 8xAGP 256mb
(3) 260gb SATA Maxtor HD
(3) 160gb Maxtor HD
16x DVD/RW
21" LCD
PRO Level 2

Postby silven » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:08 pm

Yes... everything is in order. I've checked power cables, I've even used a voltage sniffer to be sure my ribbons aren't messed up or something. I've tried two different floppy drives, and it still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure it's not the floppy drive... I'm feeling quite exhausted at ths point.

My idea is to use two old hard drives I have, 1 60GB and 1 2.54GB.. I need what's one the 60GB, so I've decided to fdisk the 2.54 and install Mandrake on it. Then I can (hopefully) work out some problems with the hard drive from there...

If anyone else has any input or suggestions on this situation, they are surely welcome.

Thanks
"when i was little, my father was famous.. he was the greatest samurai in the empire, and he was the shogun's decapitator"

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 w/
Zalman AlCU 7700+ Heatsink (woosh!)
1 GB OCZ Extreme PC-3200
Gigabyte 6600 GT
PRO Level 2

Postby jonathanfcpotter » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:59 pm

^*^ well i finally got the K8VNXP mobo working with the sata hdd the answer was in front of me all the time :whistle the disk that is supplied with the mobo works if u use it through my computer and right click to open the link. then go to bootdvr, menu and with a floppy in the drive click C to set up a single sata drive.
PRO New Member

Error Loading OS

Postby Sagit » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:21 pm

Dear Frog:

I tried to follow your instructions to setup SATA as boot disk with my GA-8KNXP. I got along up to Section 2 - Step 5:

"5) let system boot to windows and allow to install "Intel SATA" driver and ITE Gigaraid" drivers "

I boot to windows and checked Device Manager but did not see Intel SATA drivers and ITE Gigaraid drivers installed. Therefore, I inserted the Gigabyte MOBO CD to install the ITE GIgariad drivers. Then I reboot and use F6 and S button to install the Intel SATA drivers; I then hit F3 to quit and reboot.

After getting into Windows, I checked Device Managers but still did not see the Intel SATA controllers installed.

Then, I just went to connect 2 other SATA HDs to SATA0_SB and SATA1_SB and 2 IDE HDs to IDE 3 and 4. (I did follow exactly step by step as you instructed in Section 1 and up to step 5 of Section 2)

After powering up the computer again, I got the error message "Error Loading OS" then it stuck there.

Does this error happen because Intel SATA controller seemed not to be installed yet as I mentioned above?

or is it caused because I did not connect SATA HDs on SATA1_Sil as you directed:

"Connect remaining SATA drives first to SATA1_Sil, then to SATA0_SB and/or SATA1_SB connectors."

or it is because of other reasons??? Please Help me.
PRO New Member

Windows XP Pro doesn't load

Postby StriderHiryu » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:10 pm

Here's the background info:

GA-8KNXP Rev 1.0 running BIOS version F12 [ list of BIOS versions for this motherboard here: http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Sup ... (Rev%201.0).htm ]

Followed the directions of this guide and installed XP Pro on my SATA drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ 160GB, 8MB buffer). It is connected to SATA 0 SIL connector on the motherboard.

Boots into XP Pro fine.

I have a bunch of Maxtor IDE hard drives (all set to master, jumper settings shouldn't matter because in theory they're supposed to all have their own IDE channel / each device connected directly to their own IDE connector on the motherboard). When I connect any of the IDE drives I have to IDE1 on this motherboard, it will go into XP Pro and I can see the drive no problem. IDE2 is reserved for my burner. Here's where the annoyance comes in.

Since, IDE1 and IDE2 are taken up, I want to connect the rest of the drives to the IDE3 and IDE4 connectors on the motherboard, when I plug any of the remaining IDE hard drives into IDE3 or IDE4 or both (I've tried all), my computer refuses to boot into XP Pro. The H/W GIGARAID option is set to enabled in my BIOS settings (according to this guide it enables IDE3 and IDE4 connectors on the MB). I have also checked the boot order and I am positive I have set the boot sequence to boot from my SATA drive first. When I unplug whatever is in IDE3 or IDE4, XP Pro will boot up fine again.

I will try to best describe what happens when I mean the computer won't boot into XP Pro. If you have ever received the error when trying to boot into your OS "Error loading OS", well this is sort of what happens to me except that the message won't pop up and the cursor will just keep blinking and nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

I know this forum topic is old, but I would really appreciate it if someone can help me.
PRO New Member

Postby philm » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:32 am

hi i'm runing a GA-8KNXP rev2 and i'm trying to install just 1 WD740 raptor SATA hdd but no where in the POST screen or the bios does it show that the WD740 is connected is this normal??
PRO New Member

Postby htt » Mon May 02, 2005 11:54 am

I have similar problem as StriderHiryu. I have Gigabyte K8NS Pro. WinXP is setup on Sil Raid controller, 2 SATA hds on nVidia Raid controller as base. This works fine. The problem I have is that when I connect other hds on to GigaRaid IDE3 and IDE4 connectors on the motherboard, my PC refuses to boot into XP. The Bios F9 has GIGARAID option set to enabled only, no option to choose the function as Raid or ATA.

Hit Ctr-G to set all the hds to "normal", checked the boot sequence to boot from my Sil Raid drives first. If I leave all hds plugged in IDE 3 & 4 or one IDE connection only, I got the Ntldr missing error. If I unplug whatever is in IDE3 or IDE4 and leave only one hd in place (IDE3 or 4), XP boots up fine.

Basically Gigaraid IDE 3 or 4 recognizes only one hard drive, not a maximum 4 devices. If I set all 4 hds as JBOD, XP boots fine, but I am afraid that if one hd fails, I loose it all.

Either the MB is faulty or it is bad Bios. Any idea?

Thanks.
PRO Level 2

Postby StriderHiryu » Fri May 06, 2005 7:39 pm

Well I finally figured it out, thanks to no one here. If anyone has similar problems like in my earlier post, this is how you fix it. Go to the BIOS, disable the boot device; the second boot device (or whatever one that is not your floppy and not your CDROM), then go and set the SCSI boot order.
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Guides