A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to improve startup time, lots of HDD activity

Re: How to improve startup time, lots of HDD activity

Postby Absolute-Zero » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:12 am

You could always go "old school" and switch everything off in MSCONFIG, gradually adding stuff back to the startup list until your machine starts to choke on startup. If something noticeably slows down your startup time then disable it again and move on the next thing in the list.

I with you on the whole not simply reinstalling XP every time something slightly awkward happens. If that was all that anyone ever did we'd never have solved any of the other issues that exist in software (not just XP). :P
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:07 pm

Cornflake wrote:Back on topic: I guess I will look into slipstreaming an XP CD with the latest updates and drivers, that's the only way I'm going to reinstall :P I've been wanting to do that for a long time.

Yeah !!! That's the way to do it !!! ^*^

Cornflake wrote:BTW, where did you learn so much about something like registry-stored partition structure info? It seems to be a little known tidbit.

Ooooooh, trial and error from back in the days when I was using Longhorn 4074 as my main OS in a rig using a mix(-up) of (occasionally broken) RAID, SATA, and IDE hard drives that I'd change the configuration of about every 3 days or so :uhhh (oh and no, no data loss to speak of ;) )

Actually, the main reason why your Vista still works properly is that it always defines its own system partition as C:, so that you don't get any problems with those phantom registry glitches :P
PRO VETERAN

Postby Cornflake » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:50 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:Actually, the main reason why your Vista still works properly is that it always defines its own system partition as C:, so that you don't get any problems with those phantom registry glitches :P

:P

In any case, any ideas on shortening boot time at the Windows logo progress bar? It seems to load drivers, like USB and sound drivers at that time. I have the same hardware installed on my 'Alpha Site' and it takes about 3 bar cycles to start. I'm jealous since my main XP install takes 4 and a half!
PRO Level 15

Previous

Return to General Windows Support